Chapter 9: Playing Games

We arrived back at camp late. I woke up when the car hit the gravel road. I quickly wiped the drool off my lip, feeling disoriented as I tried to recall all that had happened that day.

I glanced over at Jake, he looked tired and I realized he hadn't been able to sleep yet after such a long day.

"Thanks for driving," I said, my voice rough from sleep.

He glanced over at me and smiled. "No problem."

I pushed my hair out of my face and straightened my hoodie.

He chuckled, "Stop fussing, you're cute when you sleep."

I felt my cheeks heat up. "Even when I drool?"

"Especially when you drool."

I laughed, feeling my heart flutter nervously in my chest. As we pulled up to the place where we'd set up camp a bunch of people rushed up to the car.

As I got out of the car I was greeted by Lance. "We heard about Matt's mom," he said, giving me a smile. He pulled me into a quick hug.

As I let go of him I was pulled into someone else's arms.

"I'm so glad for you, Stacy, we were all so worried," I recognized Catherine's sweet voice in my ear as she rubbed soothing circles in my back.

I smiled at her, "Thanks."

"You seem tired, do you wanna go to bed? You're tenting with me."

"Yeah, that'd be great," I said, letting her put her arm around my shoulder and lead me back to the tent.

I pratically fell onto my sleeping bag which had been thankfully already unrolled and laid out. I stuffed my feet inside and zipped it up, curling into a ball to try and get some heat in. I heard Catherine zip up the tent and climb into her sleeping bag next to me.

"I wish I could be as close to a guy as you are," she said wistfully into the dark. "I need better friendships with guys in my life."

"Matt's a great guy," I mumbled sleepily.

"I know," she whispered.

"You should talk to him," I said through a yawn.

"Yeah," she replied. "I should."

I couldn't escape another yawn and I strained to stay awake, afraid she would say something else and I would miss it.

"Goodnight Stacy, sleep well," her soft voice came through the quiet.

"Goodnight..." I fell imediatley into a deep sleep.

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping and a fire crackling. I pushed my hair out of my eyes, and glanced over to find Catherine fast asleep next to me.

I gently unzipped my sleeping bag and crawled over to the door of the tent, trying my best to be quiet. I climbed out of the tent, zipping it back up and heading over to the fire where I saw Jake sitting on a bench with his back facing him.

I sat down beside him and grinned at him. "You're up early."

"I could say the same to you," he replied, bumping my shoulder with his and grinning at me. "Coffee's on the table."

I glanced at the mug in his hand. "Geez you made coffee and everything. Someone's in a good mood."

I got up and walked to the table pouring myself a little coffee and heading back over to sit next to him. "So what's got you so chipper this morning?" I asked, taking a sip from my mug and putting my cold feet next to the fire.