12: The Final Full Moon

'IT'S BLACK!' I heard someone yell and I was handed over to somebody else.

'She's too weak to stand,' the person who delivered me said, 'I don't know what happened in that graveyard, but she hasn't made sense since we left.'

'Thank you,' it was McGonagall, 'Severus, can you please carry Black to the Hospital Wing.'

'Don't hurt me, please,' I sobbed, 'Please, I don't want to die.'

'She's been tortured,' it must have been Snape carrying me, 'I've seen it before... the Cruciatus Curse. Based on her reactions, she must have been being tortured since Potter returned two hours ago.'

'Can you calm her down, Severus? Is it possible?' McGonagall asked.

'I have potions, but this type of thing is best left to Poppy,' Snape replied, 'She's not been tortured to insanity, but that's the only good news I could give you.'

'How did she get taken there? It doesn't make sense, she was in the crowd like everyone else!' McGonagall continued.

'I'd imagine Barty Crouch Jr would have something to do with that,' Snape snarled, 'He must have placed some sort of enchantment on an item of Black's, something connected to the original Portkey. It would all be part of his sadistic game, he hates werewolves. He was probably just looking for a way to get rid of her.'

Fear was still clouding my senses and all I could think of was the torture that must have been lying in store for me. They were going to do it again and I was too weak to escape. I needed to get away, but all my strength had left me. They had won.

'Please...' was the last thing I managed to say before I blacked out.

I opened my eyes slightly then closed them again. It was too painful. I was lying in a bed, most likely the Hospital Wing as I could hear Madam Pomfrey.

'I'm afraid she won't make it through the transformation, she's too weak. I've done everything I can,' I could hear her saying.

I opened my eyes slightly so they were little slits. Nico and Josh were sitting looking at Madam Pomfrey in shock. Mrs Weasley, Ron and Hermione were also looking horrified. Harry was asleep on a bed near me and a big, black dog was lying at the foot of my bed. What had happened?

Madam Pomfrey closed the curtains and walked away so Sirius turned human. He walked up to me and looked at me with tearful eyes.

'You have half an hour then I will take her to the Whomping Willow,' said Madam Pomfrey from behind the curtain.

Mrs Weasley, who must have been told about Sirius, looked at him then walked out. I opened my eyes more fully, adjusting to the light. I couldn't lift my head, I felt like I was completely weighed down. But what did she mean I wouldn't survive?

'Can we go alone and put Molly in the Willow... And you stay here and look after Harry?' I could hear her asking.

'Of course, just make sure you put her in the Shrieking Shack,' said Madam Pomfrey then Mrs Weasley came back through.

'I... I can't believe it...' said Josh in a hoarse voice.

'How could she... It's just not... I never imagined her dying... I thought we would be friends until we were old...' whispered Nico.

'She's strong...' said Hermione but she couldn't bring herself to say anymore.

I felt a hand on mine and used all my strength to squeeze it. The hand squeezed back tightly.

'Please, Molly,' it was Sirius, 'If you can hear me, please, please make it out... You're strong... I-I can't lose you... I'm meant to die first.'

I heard his quiet sobs as he held me tightly, not wanting to let go. At least he was there to comfort me in my final moments, at least I wasn't alone in a graveyard, surrounded by everything I feared. With him near, I no longer feared death.