Chapter 18 - Taehyun

The morning is already in full drive, the rising of the sun pushing the boys into motion. After Kai fusses over Sesame for the umpteenth time, Taehyun and his team members haul their stuffed backpacks and arrange themselves into a minivan. They wave goodbye to a beaming Taylor, and her bodyguard begins their drive down St. Louis heights.

The destination isn't too clear, but Taehyun would guess anywhere but the city, as they drive across the coast and eventually enter into what he recognizes to be Bellows Field Beach Park. Although his parents didn't often surf here, they would warn him of the abundance of Portuguese man-o'-wars. The blue jellyfish would attach themselves to the most unsuspecting swimmers, latching onto skin with sticky tentacles that sting much like a scorpion's.

Taehyun shivers at the thought.

Without much instruction at all, Taylor's bodyguard lets them off at the campsite. Here, ironwood trees grow all around and block most of the sunlight. The floor is covered with dry branches and tiny, sharp pine cones. The beach is close by, with the smell of the ocean awakening Taehyun's nose, and the breeze holds a refreshing moisture. This entire section of the campsite seems to be reserved just for them, with the closest tent being a speck of red in a whole separate clearing.

Taehyun closes his eyes and allows himself a heavy inhale. His parents would be in their element here. They would leave him along the shoreline and head straight to paddling out to the depths, as if their energy came from the heat of the sun. He would stay in the shade, maybe with his notebook and pen. He would attempt to write lyrics and bind them with a melody. He would share his composition with his parents afterwards, basking in their belief of him—of what he would become.

Soobin is quick to encourage the team. "Alright, so we don't know much of what to do." He points to a rust-colored wagon resting between two trees. "Let's start there. I think I see a tent and some other supplies."

A note from Taylor is written on lavender card stock, her cursive letters stating: Alright, this is home for the next two days. I will send more tasks later, but for now focus on getting settled!

"So exciting!" says Huening Kai, and the rest of the team echoes the sentiment.

Taehyun is a little more doubtful, but he tries to keep his spirits high while the boys unfold the tent—a stunning turquoise that looks big enough to hold them all. "Does anyone have any experience with camping?" His question is met with the silence of four city boys. "Okay. Then we'll just have to work as a team. If we keep trying and just eliminate all the failed attempts...."

It's all sunshine until—for what seems like the hundredth time—one of the poles snaps out of place. Yeonjun looks once at the disaster and groans at the folds of the tents body and the pegs skewed across the grounds. "I hate to say it, but we're hopeless."

Huening Kai reaches another time for the tent, but Soobin holds up a hand to stop him. "Let's come up with a better plan first. Beomgyu, are you sure you're looking at good instructions?"

Beomgyu's face is pinched as he scrolls through his smartphone. His voice is raspy with irritation. "This is the best one I can find. If we can't follow these five simple steps, how are we supposed to do anything great?"

A murky silence follows the question. Taehyun visualizes the mood of his teammates sinking deep into a void. He can't just stay silent and let everyone wander into the same sadness they're all trying to avoid. So he coughs to grab their attention.

"Listen, guys. We're all here for the same reasons. We want to chase our dreams of becoming artists, but we also want to find out how to heal. We all have a valid story of why we're here.

So think of everything we've done so far. All those long hours. We get to be mentored by Taylor Swift of all people. She's teaching us how to sing and compose.... We have one of the best choreographers teaching us, and don't forget all the people behind the scenes who are coordinating this whole camp.

We've been through a lot already, though it's only been around a week. So we can't let something as simple as a tent wear us down. Let's try to be encouraged by each other."

Taehyun makes sure to share the gaze of each team member. They look at him with respect and open ears, and he realizes now that he couldn't have asked for better people to share his dreams with.

"Let's keep fighting," Taehyun finishes.

And after a moment's pause, they shuffle to the collapsed tent to try again.

A/N: Thank you for reading! If you could pick any artist to collaborate with TXT, who would you choose? I think I would choose Lorde or Nicki Minaj. But they would be two completely different songs that's for sure :P.