4위 ❝Be Different❞

Start from the beginning

"I think it's because you're closed with Miggy." Napatigil si Miggy sa pagkain at tumingin kay Dion.

"Totoo naman. May bagong babae na close sa 'Oppa' nila. Samantalang sila na matagal na nating schoolmate hindi magawang makipagkaibigan sa 'yo."

Hinintay ni Miggy ang magiging reaksyon ni Oli pero patuloy lang ito sa pag kain. Siniko naman ni Hansel si Dion. Miggy felt sad and guilty at the same time. Walang ginagawang masama si Oli but some people are hating on her because of him. Kahapon nga lang naman sila nagkakilala but they already built friendship. He's comfortable with her and wants to stick by her side. But he's also wondering, kung nakakakita ba si Oli, will she remain comfortable with him? O kagaya ng iba, will she base on looks?

"Pantay-pantay lang lahat ng tao." Sabay na napatingin ang tatlo kay Oli na kakatapos lang uminom.

"Kahit kasing gwapo ka pa ng prinsipe, pare-parehas lang tayong estudyante. Napakababaw nila to hate on someone because of a lame reason."

Miggy knew it. Oli is different.

FACULTY ROOM

"OLI, sorry for what happened. Pagpasensyahan mo na ang mga kaklase mo. It's just that they were surprised." Miss Shin consoled her. Umiling si Oli habang nakangiti.

"I already expected that, ma'am. No need to worry." ani Oli.

"And I'm also sorry. As your class adviser, I'm sorry that I did not read your medical records. I should have known before the class started. But Oli, are you sure you can catch up with the class?" Oli's smile faded. "An ordinary class like ours is different from what you used to have. You have to write the same way your classmates do it. You must participate in group reporting and so much more. Kahit pa sabihin mo na ayaw mo ng special treatment, we have to make an adjustment."

"Ma'am, I will do the adjustments. Don't worry." Oli carefully made her way out of the faculty room.

"16 . . . 17 . . . 18 . . ." Tumigil siya sa paglalakad saka bumuntong-hininga.

She remembered how her brother taught her this strategy.

Count your steps and walk normally. That way, people won't notice that you are blind. You will be as normal as they are.

He personally made Oli's wristwatch for the same reason. Act normal, be normal. Pero sinong niloloko nila? Tama si Miggy, walang mali sa pagiging bulag. Pero walang makakapagtago ng katotohanang 'you can't live the same way as other people' kung bulag ka.

Oli safely returned to her classroom. Maingay sa loob at kagaya ng dati ay may kani-kanila silang mundo. She wished Miggy would come to her pero wala ito ngayon. Nasa meeting siya kasama ang mga Student Council Officer.

She heard laughter as she sat on her seat. She's unaware of what is happening until she heard Hansel shouting. Kakarating lang niya sa classroom kasama si Dion. They rushed to Oli to tell good news pero iba ang sumalubong sa kanila.

"Sinong gumawa nito?!"

Agad na kumuha ng basahan si Dion at pinunasan ang desk ni Oli.

Her insecure classmates made fun of her by writing nonsense on her desk. Hindi mo alam kung nananadya sila o may kulang sa pag-iisip kasi hindi naman mababasa ni Oli ang mga isinulat nila.

"Makakarating ito sa Student Council, tandaan n'yo 'to." Hansel said but his classmates seem to be unbothered.

"Hindi ko alam kung anong ginawa nila but whatever it is, hayaan n'yo lang sila."

"Pero Oli . . ." nag-aalalang sambit ni Dion.

Oli stood from her seat and smirked.

"Class 2-A. Hindi na tayo mga bata. Be matured enough."

To be continued. . .

In a garden full of roses, it's not bad to be a sampaguita.

Author's note:

Oli is experiencing a neurological vision loss. She was not born blind but rather achieved blindness. Kagaya ng sinabi ni Oli, she can still see but it's very blurry and hazy.

She also experience dreaming. Pero limited ang vision niya sa huli niyang nakita noong nakakakita pa sila.

For example, Oli can dream of herself as a Junior High student but has no idea of what she looks like today. She can dream of their house but not the changed arrangement.

I am not 100% sure of the accuracy of my writings about Oli's condition. I base my knowledge on what I have read and watch.

If you are curious, this is Oli's vision.

Thanks for reading, by the way! God bless!