CHAPTER THIRTEEN

BETTY

I don't think anything can prepare you for the moment a doctor tells you that you've suffered a stroke. It shook me so hard, I had to swallow my breath a few times. Luckily for me, my body is in pretty good shape, so they're confident that I can go on to live my life as normal. But, I'll need to slow down for a few months to recover.

Finn held me so hard when they told me, asking a hundred questions at once, but not that I didn't expect him to. It's been a trying week for him with me in the hospital, and our girls in the baby unit. Ever the professionals, the doctor answered every one, managing to calm him down within minutes.

It's going to be a bit of a process, but time will get me there. They're certain my reduced movement in my left side will be back in no time, and the ticking in my eyes should settle once my blood pressure is back to normal.

Everything Is okay as long as I have my beautiful girls near me. The doctor wheeled them down here this morning once he'd finished with me, leaving us alone with a nurse on hand in case something went wrong.

I couldn't stop crying as soon as the incubator entered the room, my body frustrating me when I tried to climb out of bed to get to them. Finn took charge then, opening the top of the incubator to secure one of my babies in his arms, not surprising me one bit when he acted so gentle with her, whispering something to her before letting the nurse help to lay her in my arms.

Absorbing how tiny she is upsets me, the sheer size of her slightly traumatising. Showing me how, Finn helps to undo my gown so she can rest on my bare chest, pulling the material back so it covers her body.

"Oh wow," I say, my chest starting to shake.

Finn sits on the edge of the bed so he can get his arm behind my neck, bending so he can look down at us. "This moment is all I've ever wanted."

It's hard for my to move my neck, so I smile in the hopes of him seeing it. "Its all I've ever wanted too."

Kissing the top of my head, he reaches down to stroke his finger up and down the baby's cheek. "What do you think?"

"What do I think?" I repeat his words.

Finn hums.

Feeling her warmth on me as she snuggles her cheek into my chest, arm reaching up to flatten out her fingers. I answer him with honesty, "Like my world is complete."

Leaning down to kiss my cheek, he keeps his lips there. "I feel it too."

"It was all worth it. The pain was worth these two," I say, eyes trailing across to the incubator where our other girl lays.

Finn keeps pressing his lips against my cheek, covering me with his body as he tugs us to rest into his side. "I haven't decided on the names yet."

"You want to change what we chose?"

"No," he says, lowering his voice. "I wanted you to pick who gets each name."

Staring down at her, it comes to me instantly. "Nina."

Finn chuckles as he peels the hat from her head to show off the curls. "Hey, Nina girl, with all the curls."

Turning my head into his chest to snuggle, I try to keep my giggles quiet, knowing that we're still in the ICU. "You're funny, big guy."

"Do you remember when I used to call you Curly?" he says, stroking my arm.

I do, and I remember pretending that it annoyed me so he'd say it again with that soft, loving look he always gave me with it. "Um-hm."

Finn's nails scrape along my arm. "You tired, baby?"

"No, no, I'm all good."

He dips his head. "You sure?"

I take hold of his hand. "Positive. I love being here with you two. I just wish Elisa could be here too. I bet she's lonely all the way over there."

"Wait a second." He unwraps himself from me to pad around the bed towards the incubator, lifting the top to bring Elisa out into his arms, asking the nurse to pick up Nina so he can give Elisa to me.

I worry when Nina lets out a loud whimper, seeming disoriented as she leaves my warmth. "Is she okay?"

They both smile, Finn answering, "Fine. She'll be warm again in no time."

And the emotion hits me once more as I cover Elisa with my top, intrigued to take her wool hat off to see if curls are underneath. Finn comes to settle back in the space he was before getting up, arms going up for the nurse to hand over Nina, wheeling the incubator so their wires and tubes don't tug.

"Look at you," I say, watching him cover Nina with a cotton blanket.

My life couldn't be more perfect.

Finn's eyes close as he cuddles Nina close. "Ugh, man, nothing is better than this, baby. My girls in my arms. I'm a lucky bastard."

"Your girls love you," I say, whispering the last part.

"Come 'ere," he says, helping me move my head so he can brush his lips over mine.

I rub my nose against his in a gentle kiss. "What a rollercoaster this has been, ey?"

"It's been a theme park."

It kind of has been. "But it's over now. I'm better. We just need the twins to get stronger and we'll be home."

We stay like this for a while until the nurse tells us that it's time to change their nappies. I don't have the energy to move around, so I sit back and watch Finn strip the nappy away, wipe and apply a new one like a pro, his eyes catching mine while he goes it for my opinion. I, of course, tell him that he's doing amazingly, loving the big grin he throws me.

Next comes feeding time, which is a little more difficult, but wonderful all the same as they can be on my chest for this part. I keep talking to Nina as the nurse feeds the formula through a tube, making me wish that I was able to breastfeed them. It was my plan all along, reading that breast is best in almost every article and book on the baby market.

They promise me that it makes only a small amount of difference, as the formulas have come a long way since most of the books were published. That made me feel better, and knowing the twins were thriving off the stuff they were being given, I didn't want to risk changing it and seeing them deteriorate.

"Betty," Finn says, quite alarmed.

I glance over, feeling my heart pound. "What's the matter?"

There isn't alarm on his face, only surprise. "Nina's eyes are open. Look!"

"Oh, my, hello baby," I say, my eyes widening too.

Tiny, unfocused eyes scan back and forth.

The nurse gives a little cheer. "We weren't expecting this so soon. It seems meeting her mummy has helped a lot."

"Do you think?" I say, smiling big.

"I know it, darlin'," she pats my arm.

I can't quite make out the colour right now, as they're a really deep colour, but I assume that they will change as she starts to grow. Finn is bent over me, trying to get a good look at her, but she's having none of it as she covers her face with her tiny hand.

I just can't wait to see them grow.

...

Sorry for short update. I wanted to publish this before I went to work. Hope you enjoy it, and thank you for reading! ❤️❤️❤️