Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

"I'm guessing you won't be missing him?" I asked in more of a knowing tone.

She shook her head casually.

"Yeah me either," I stated.

I got up and made my way to the kitchen, putting the box of tissues onto the countertop. Let's be honest, no one was sad that Mr. Alvaro was gone. Everyone really just came to tell Ms. Tompkins how 'sorry' they were for her loss. They'd came more for her than the man that had actually died.

"Ugh," I heard Ms. Tompkins exasperate as a tray of aluminum dishes slipped from her hands.

I rushed over to help her. "Are you okay?" I asked as I put a bowl back onto the tray.

"Yeah," she said with a tired smile. "I just ended up leaving my purse at the church and I can't just leave all these guests to go and get it, and it's probably gone now anyway an--

"I'll go get it for you," I assured.

"No, it's fine. You've done so much today already," she said as I placed the tray onto the counter.

"No, I insist. It'll only take a few minutes."

"Thank you," she said. "Don't stay out too late though. It should be getting dark soon."

"Kk," I replied just before heading to my car outside.

The drive back to the church was surprisingly calming. It was the first time all day that I wasn't forced to hear sad music or aimless chit-chat, but now I didn't have a distraction. My mind traveled right back to Tyler and all these questions arose. Where was he?

Even though I knew it was wrong, I took my eyes off of the road for a quick second. I glanced at my phone, hoping for a new message or call that I'd missed, but once again, I was let down.

I looked back up and when I did, I gasped, slamming my breaks. Luckily, I'd stopped just in time. A deer stared directly at me.

"Geez," I let out and bonked the horn until it walked into the woods.

I hit the gas pedal and tried to relax again.

Before I knew it, I was pulling into the church's parking lot. I parked near the front, got out of the car quickly and rushed inside. Not to be totally superstitious or anything, but there was a cemetery right behind the church and I didn't want to be anywhere within a five mile radius of it when it got dark.

I opened the large doors and when I did, I began walking down the aisle to where Ms. Tompkins was sitting. Before I could make it though, I saw someone sitting towards the front. Curiosity struck me, considering we'd reserved the church for the funeral. Maybe he was someone Ms. Tompkins knew who preferred saying his goodbyes alone.

The stranger hadn't even turned around when I'd walked in and as I stepped closer and closer, they looked more and more familiar.

"Tyler?" I asked as I stopped at the person's aisle.

He continued to look forward and I sat next to him. He had on a suit with the first three buttons of his shirt undone and his tie loosely around his neck.

I could tell he'd been crying though he avoided the contact with me. He just looked forward.

I would sit with him as long as I needed to. Even if it got dark, and the dead rose from the cemetery and tried to eat us.

"Are you okay?" I asked and automatically cursed myself for asking such a stupid question. Of course he wasn't okay. His father had just died!