Chapter Twenty Four

24

::Kylie's POV::

I walked into the building and was automatically greeted by the loud chatters and squeals of friends being reunited after a long summer break. Girls jumping around excitedly, boys checking out their next targets, everything was so familiar. It was all so familiarly agonizing. Maybe it was the smell of the cleaning products the janitors had used in order to get the school back into tip-top shape, but I was feeling incredibly sick. My head was spinning, causing me to feel extremely dizzy and I felt as if I was on the verge of throwing up at any minute now. This would be a rough day, I just knew it.

I looked at the paper in my hand and saw that my locker was on the other side of the building, in the West Wing. The walk there wasn't so bad, until I saw Levi at his locker with one of our classmates, Veronica Sheer. She had a summer glow that she must have worked on all break, honey blonde highlights and a killer physique. I wasn't surprised at him being attracted to her, she was gorgeous. Plus I was glad that he'd moved on.

I walked past his locker as quickly as I could, but as soon as he and Veronica pulled away from their sloppy kiss, he looked straight at me. I suddenly felt awkward and out of place. Though we still lived in the same household, we'd been avoiding each other ever since I'd broken up with him. I couldn't even believe how much we'd changed in the last few months. We went from being best friends, to practically complete strangers. I hadn't had a decent conversation with him in what felt like ages and even though I wouldn't miss our romantic relationship at all, I would miss our friendship. He was a good friend before we complicated things.

I finally made my way to my locker and I thought of how awesome people made their senior year sound. Parties, friends. If mine turned out to be a reflection of anything like today, then it would be an extremely lonely year.

"Oh my gosh! Kylie!" I heard a girl scream. My headache intensified incredibly, but once I turned around to see who it was, I smiled. My favorite strawberry blonde.

"Amie," I said and we hugged. Her pinkish hair was lighter than ever and she even looked smaller. How does someone lose weight over summer? I'd gained at least five pounds in the last week!

"How was your summer?" She asked me and I really didn't want to tell her. Slutting around between two brothers wasn't an ideal summer vacation.

"It was," I stopped to think. "Eventful."

She raised an eyebrow and pointed a finger at me. "I'll let you slide right now because you really seem like you don't want to talk about it. But only this once."

I just laughed at her. Our friendship hadn't been as long lived as it should of been, but she seemed to know how to read my expressions well. I was determined not to lose touch with her again.

"How was your summer break Ms. Missy?" I asked her and her eyebrows furrowed.

"It was fun once I broke things off with Matt," she said like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

"Woah woah. You and Matt broke up?" I asked in disbelief and she shrugged. "Okay we definitely have to discuss this during lunch. Let me see your schedule," I said and we switched papers.

"Yay! We have four classes together and lunch!" She cooed. "This is going to be awesome."

"At least I'll have you for senior year," I said and we both smiled.

"So where's your locker?" She asked and I pointed.

"Oh okay I'm just around that corner over there," she said and pointed. "I guess I will see you in third period."