29

We circled the island, unwilling to get any closer after what Sybin had just done.

"Who would be on that island? Alan, of course, but who else?" Finn ignored my question, as he scanned the ocean.

"There." He pointed to the edge of the island opposite of the tower. "We have to wait a few minutes, but I have found a weakness in Sybin's guard." 

It was an agonizing wait. Every second was a second that Mairen was suffering in that horrible cell. Finn whistled above the wind, and Klika put on a turn of speed, diving straight for the grass. Sybin caught on, but he realised too late. We had already landed. He stared us down with bright orange eyes, tracking my every wingbeat. Within a second, Finn had mounted Klika again, narrowly avoiding snapping jaws at each turn. I realised what he was doing. He was distracting Sybin so I could get the key. I took off, speeding behind Sybin. I went up and over his head as he opened his mouth to catch his prey. I caught sight of a small, lacquered piece of wood wedged between two rotted yellow teeth, still sharp as razors. A box. The key had to be in there. Now to wait for the perfect moment. Sybin opened his mouth, but not quite wide enough yet. I needed time. Finn circled back around, waiting for Sybin's next move. I could have sworn he gave me a sharp nod before flying at full speed towards Sybin's face. He reared up in confusion, a screaming roar erupting from his jaws, now wide open. And I took my chance. I tucked my wings in, willing myself faster and faster. I dodged teeth as large as small boulders, grabbing the box with one foot, talons digging into the wood. I desperately flapped towards the rapidly closing opening in Sybin's teeth. With not a second to spare, I was out. I had barely escaped with my life, let alone the key. But the battle wasn't over yet.