8

I did not know the Council. But clearly, whatever they were doing was jeopardizing our world. I kept myself warm in Mairen's saddle bag, occasionally peeking my head out to check our position. Klika was flying fast, riding the wind. And there, on the no longer mist-cover horizon, a small speck of land. An island. Mairen's home. If what Finn said was true, we were flying right into a trap.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Mairen did not respond, only focused on that sliver of land up ahead. I guess I would just have to hope that this was the right thing to do.

"Did you say something?" She asked suddenly.

"No." I lied. I had to trust her. She had trusted me, so I would return the friendship.

"Good, because we'll be to the island soon enough." She loosed a breath. "Look, I'm going to need your help for this. Come nightfall, we're going to break into the lighthouse. I need you to fly up through the top windows, come down and open the door for me."

"Mairen, I can do a lot, but I can't open doors with clawed feet."

"Then we'll find some other way to open it. I don't know how, but we will. Sometimes the best plans are made on the fly. Literally." I didn't get it. "You know, because we're flying." There was a long pause. "Nevermind. Anyways, I'm sure we'll do it. Nothing has stopped us yet."

"And what if the Council does stop us?" I said over the howling wind.

"Then we keep walking through the darkness until we find the light. We have to keep going, no matter how trapped we are." It might have only been Mairen and I to hear what she said, but the winds always carried words farther than one could imagine. In silence we flew, until we reached the island. But that was the easiest part. Mairen's plan was only just beginning.