Prolouge

I don't know how Mrs Hudson is going to respond when we arrive back at Baker Street. She's been left almost completely in the dark throughout this week, and doesn't know that I've been in hospital for the majority of it, a gaping big hole in my shoulder. I'm sure I'll soon find out.

John helps me out of the cab, and I wince slightly as my shoulder brushes against his coat. Dad leads us towards the flat, wheeling all three of our suitcases behind him and still managing to open the front door.

Despite my protests that the bullet had affected my arm movement, not leg movement, dad leaves the cases at the bottom of the stairs and carries me up instead. I'm honestly feeling so pathetic at the moment. John opens the living room door for us and clears the sofa of the scattered newspapers and clippings from our previous case which had fallen down when we were away, and dad lies me down.

"John, you get the cases, I'll go see if Mrs Hudson has any morphine."

"Why would she - ?" John starts, but dad wonders out of the room, so he turns to me instead. "Stay there, you need to rest." I let my head fall back down onto the arm rest in defeat.

It's not as though I rested for a week in the hospital, or for the cab back. John seems to think that the wound has been infected, or something, and that's why they're being gentle. I guess he's also had experience of this himself and doesn't want the same happening to me. As if. I am Sophia Holmes, and I will not allow myself to be defeated by a bullet.