Chapter 21

Sitting by the window, I looked out at the compound that carried on around the body that was being pulled down from the gallows. It had been built just for her, and to make it worse, they made her watch it being built. Alaric could be an absolute bastard when he was angry and Farren had done the worst thing possible, she tried to destroy his family.

I sighed as I turned away, feeling sadness throughout. Farren was always nice to me, I hated that I'd only seen a lie.

My hand smoothed over the tiny swell, in my other hand was the ultrasound picture of the baby. History was repeating itself but at least this time, I was safe from the monster that tried to end my life.

The door opened and Nava smiled at me. I stood and pulled the curtains shut.

"Hey, there stranger. What are you doing out of bed?"

"Just watching them take the body down."

She closed the door and climbed onto the bed with me.

"Dad made quite a spectacle out of it, your oldies wanted you to be awake for it but dad wouldn't have it, said you'd plead for leniency and we all know dad, right?"

I nodded.

"It didn't help that Amrina and her friends are still here."

"They are?"

"Yeah," She scoffed. "They've been back and forth a few times. She and dad had this big discussion about what the Kronthelm think is fitting for attempted murder. That out there is the result."

"Right, so attempted murder earns death but actual murder gets nothing. Interesting."

Nava sat up, wincing slightly.

"That was brought up, Imren told me about it."

"You're talking to him?"

"Yeah. Anyway, your mom told dad what you'd said and Amrina said that they would question the woman when they returned. Apparently, they assumed that your mother had died from a Hirioakan attack. They had no body to prove otherwise. The base where your parents were stationed sent the autopsy report which said that the wounds were jagged but they found several rocks in them. The photos of the rocks were shown to Amrina who confirmed that they were the tips of broken spearheads."

"The Hirioakan don't use weapons they've made, they use whatever they can find on the ground."

"Yep, so Amrina said that it was sufficient evidence to investigate it further. She also told dad to keep the gallows up because if it is true then it will be used again."

"They have children, Nava. I can't do that to my father."

She nodded, taking the picture from my hand.

"I know and that was discussed but Imren says that their laws are pretty clear. You know, when I sent you the messages about Merrick, I didn't think you'd actually hook up with him."

I shrugged, taking the picture back when she offered it.

"You'll have to visit after the baby's born. The house should be built by then."

"Sure."

"They're pushing the wedding forward. It's going to be on Saturday and it's going to happen on the other side of the ridge."

"It is?"

Her lips pressed tight as she nodded.

"Yeah. They're going to clear out a large area and build something. I told dad that he had to run powerlines to it and run the air conditioning. Otherwise, I won't be wearing a hot and stuffy dress. Maybe something cute and short."

I chuckled, that was so Nava.

"They've already started to build large walls down the sides to keep the Hirioakan out. A base further down the gorge has started throwing meat out regularly to lure them down there."

Nava pulled out her phone, showing me pictures of the gorge.

"They've started to fill it. Dad said that it's going to take a long time to repair the land but it will be worth it. He's got Amrina onside, the humans can't get through the bases and the only issue is the Hirioakan. Amrina suggested that with the permanent presence of the army around the village, the Hirioakan will move away. The long term plan is to slowly herd them towards a land bridge that is further north."

"Really?"

She nodded, tucking her phone back into her pocket.

"Amrina said that it's far away but it leads to an even bigger land mass that they could go to. Dad said that it sounds like the land that the vampires used to live on before they followed the humans here. There never used to be a land bridge but after a few hundred years, anything is possible I suppose."

The door opened and Amrina walked in, Gus a few steps behind her.

"Oh yeah, I forgot. Oops."

"What?"

"The reason that I came here. I had to tell you that because you're awake and okay, your parents are taking you home. Amrina knows that you're pregnant and may not be back before the child is born so she said that you guys can do the naming ceremony now."

"But I don't know the gender. I haven't even thought about names."

"Sure you do. This kid is right on track even if he's part vampire and part Kronthelm. Amrina said that they gestate for around five months so your little man, he's already advanced. Look down there at that little flappy thing hanging down. Looks like he takes after his old man. Word is that you two could be heard through the entire village."

"Nava," I hissed. "You're a monster."

She chuckled and wrapped her arm around my neck, giving my cheek a big smooch.

"You love me and you know it."

"Yeah, lucky for you."

Nava stepped aside, waiting for everyone else to enter the room. My parents and Nava's parents were here as well as Imren and his father.

"This is a list of names that you can select from. The high priestess says that you do not need to keep the name if you do not want, she understands that when we meet the child for the first time that our thoughts about names often change. This will be his village name and should he ever return, then this is what he should use. It will help him integrate into their society with ease."

"I didn't think that we were welcome."

"Your Highness, you will always be welcomed because you are the one that stepped into their world and offered them a chance at peace with the vampires."

"And what of the woman that murdered my mother?"

"There is no proof, unfortunately. They have seen the Hirioakan use spears that they have found on the ground. However, Amrina had very stern words with Hemla and Toness, she demanded a confession but Hemla said that she had nothing to do with it. Amrina stated to them that she believed the accusations to be true and that you and any children of yours are members of the tribe and if they dared to attack, they would be executed without trial."

"That is acceptable, please thank Amrina for believing us."

She nodded when Gus told her, giving me a fond smile.

Distracting myself was ideal because I didn't find it acceptable, not really. I didn't want the children to be without their mother but I didn't have mine because of her.

Looking over the list, I smiled when I reached a name. I knew that it would be his permanent name because I liked it. Rehnive.

"That is pronounced, reh-neeve."

"It's perfect."