Chiba x Hayami : Moonlit Strolls

Start from the beginning

"Is that what you were worried about?" Hayami joked weakly, attempting to cover the blazing heat on her cheeks. "I can take care of myself, you know."

Chiba chuckled. "Yeah, Yeah... But seriously,don't go leaving me anytime soon, okay? I don't know what I'd do without you..."

They were both blushing now as Chiba realized what he just said. "So, um, it's pretty late, so... see you tomorrow. Good night, Hayami." And with that, he walked off.

She watched him leave. "Good night, Chiba."

————————————————————————
Present Time

Chiba looked at the night sky above the rolling waves of the beach from where he was in the hotel of the island for Kunugigaoka's summer trip. So much had happened in the last three days.

The class had made an assassination plot so foolproof they were sure they could have killed their teacher. But Chiba and Hayami had both failed. The pressure had been too much for the both of them, and they'd let their classmates down. Even though Korosensei had praised their attempt, they still both felt the crushing sense of defeat.

That same night, half the class has gotten sick from an unidentified virus, and Chiba and Hayami were asked to use real guns, right after they'd failed using fake ones! If it weren't for Korosensei's encouragement, the two of them would never had had the nerve to shoot.

After a standoff between Nagisa and Takaoka with an anticlimactic ending, they kicked off the next day with a "horror tunnel" which just turned out to be their sleazebag teachers way of hooking people up. It ended up backfiring when the students started scaring Korosensei themselves.

It was a pretty hectic assassination vacation, all right...

"Hey, Hayami. Want to go for a walk?" Chiba tilted his head toward the beach.

"Sure, why not." She replied easily. It was just easy for them to communicate with each other. They could understand each other better than their friends or families ever could

They walked in silence along the beach for a while, taking in the view of the moonlight over the water as the waves rippled calmly across their feet.

"Some vacation, huh?" Chiba said, grinning.

"Yeah...Korosensei is pretty great, helping us use real guns after missing our shot."

They both sat down by the water, letting the water graze their toes before retreating back into the ocean.

"We need to work on dealing with pressure in our training so we don't mess up next time."

"Exactly. And Chiba?"

"Yeah?"

Hayami gave him a small smile, short and sweet. The wind caused her orange hair to ripple as she said, "I'm glad you're my sniping partner."

"Hayami..." He needed to tell her. How he really felt about her. Conveying their feelings was hard for the both of them, but he knew that she of all people would understand what he was saying. The truth is, he really liked her. Maybe even loved her.