"Laying all flirtatiousness aside, I felt bad for Blondie. It wasn't rocket science to pinpoint he loved you. I asked him—fearing he wouldn't answer—why he couldn't just walk up to you and claim you as his. Astonishingly, he spoke up."

"What did he say?" My best friend and I asked, already scared of what the answer might be.

"He said and I quote ‘I want to, God I want to, but it's complicated.’" She answered, proud of herself that she clearly remembered.

"And what was your response?" This time, it was Tess who asked.

"I replied and I quote, ‘Screw it! There isn't anything complicated about true love. If you truly love her, I want you to suck it up and go talk to her this instant. You see, you may lose her if you don't.’" She pounded her right fist against the palm of her left hand, for a perfect illustration.

"And I was right. By that time, Hayden had successfully led you to the dancefloor and the stupid DJ had changed the music from a gyrating pop song to a mushy R&B." She looked like she wanted to kill the DJ.

I, on the other hand, didn't know what to say or think, anymore. If it was truly Jason and he had seen me with Hayden that night and felt beyond heartbroken, I couldn't bear to think of how he felt when Hayden kissed me.

My bad!

When I kissed Hayden.

That was perhaps the sole thing I remembered in detail. It wasn't because I had enjoyed the kiss. Sure, I did. But it was because I was thinking of someone else when it happened. Someone who  must have watched the whole scene unfold.

I felt so ashamed of myself.

"And then, what?" Tess pressed.

"And then he took a shot of vodka himself, winced from the drink's harshness, gave me a swift kiss on my cheek—Oh I'd never forget that—and boldly stated he was going after you. That was the first time he smiled that night and it lit up my life."

It wasn't rocket science to know that this bartender was clearly infatuated. I wasn't sure however, if the feeling that invaded my body was jealousy. All I knew was, I wish I was the one he smiled at.

Oh I wish.

But the sudden change of her demeanor meant, what he had planned didn't work out.

"So he turned and left me there. I was sad but still proud of him. I'm a sucker for true love, ya know? It happens sporadically. My happiness died, when I watched how dejected he felt when vodka girl kissed Hayden." She was glaring at me now.

"You kissed him?" Tess asked in disbelief, open-mouthed. I may have skipped that part of the night during my explanation this evening before we left for the club.

"Yes, but in my defense, I was trying to get over Jason and move on. You of all people should know how hard it was for me. If it's any consolation, I broke off the kiss when I realized I wasn't into Hayden." I expounded gloomily. It wasn't the best excuse but it was the truth.

"But it broke Blondie. It broke him to the core, watching you kiss another guy." The bartender interrupted. I really had to know her name instead of constantly referring to her as ‘the bartender’.

"It was all he could do not to beat the crap out of Hayden. But he did that though." She had a smug look on her face. I suspected more had happened.

"He beat him up? But why?" I asked.

"You were squirming in his arms and trying to break off the kiss, but horny Hayden didn't get the memo. That is, until you slapped him. And boy, that slap hurt! I felt it way over where I was."