The Pants Song

(JEREMY's house. JEREMY'S DAD sits at the kitchen table.

"Yay, I'm back!" Mr. Heere, who had been being very quiet, cheered. Christine actually forgot he was next to her and jumped when she heard him talk out of the blue.

JEREMY enters, carrying the shoebox. He looks good. He acts cold.)

JEREMY'S DAD (SPOKEN)
Where do you think you're going, private?

JEREMY (SPOKEN)
The play?

JEREMY'S DAD (SPOKEN)
What play? You're in a play?

Jeremy looked down in guilt. He used to tell his dad everything, but when his mom left, he never talked to him as much. Then, the Squip came along, and Jeremy just flat-out ignored his dad.

Did you borrow my car on Halloween?

"Buthted!" Jeremy glared at Rich. "Thorry..."

THE SQUIP (SPOKEN)
Disdainful denial.

JEREMY (SPOKEN)
I don't know what you're talking about.

JEREMY'S DAD (SPOKEN)
Then I guess I should blame the car elves.

Michael and Christine snorted.

JEREMY (SPOKEN)
Do whatever you want.

Mr. Heere sat awkwardly in his seat. Connecting with his son had always been difficult, but the Squip just made it even more difficult.

Christine could see how sad Mr. Heere was, and she wanted to comfort him. But she didn't exactly know how to comfort a forty something year old man wearing nothing but a robe, baggy shirt, and underwear.

(JEREMY starts to go.)

JEREMY'S DAD (SPOKEN)
Did you take it to that party?

"...buthted."

"RICH!"

THE SQUIP (SPOKEN)
Wait.

(JEREMY stops.)

JEREMY'S DAD (SPOKEN)
I'm worried about you! You come and go all hours, doing god knows what, wearing these new clothes... What is going on with you?

As someone who had a dad that didn't give a single shit about him, Rich felt sympathy for Mr. Heere. He was actually trying, and Jeremy didn't care.

THE SQUIP (SPOKEN)
Tell him the truth.

JEREMY (SPOKEN)
I took a pill-sized supercomputer called a Squip that's in my brain, and it talks to me, and it's made everything better!

"Better..." Michael thought. "Maybe Jeremy really was better off without him."

JEREMY'S DAD (SPOKEN)
If you're not going to take me seriously-

JEREMY (SPOKEN)
Why should I?

The mood in the room continued to get darker and darker.

JEREMY'S DAD (SPOKEN)
Excuse me?

JEREMY (SPOKEN)
I'm supposed to believe you care? Look in the mirror! Ever since Mom left, you sit around like you're waiting for her to come back! If she did, you know what she'd find? A loser who's so afraid to have a life, he can't even put PANTS ON!