3

"Hey, Beauty Queen," someone said behind her. She turned, and saw the shallow stereotype jock.

"Uh, hello...what's your name?"

"Kim," he answered, shifting his weight.

"Oh, cool. Sorry 'bout that. I'm not good with names," she replied with a smile.

"Me too. But I do remember yours, [y/n]. So, you're a cheerleader?"

"Yeah. It's not like most sports or even school activities."

"What do...cheerleaders do?"

"We basically encourage people to come to the games, support the team, make sure no one completely gives up, that kinda stuff."

"Are cheerleaders really like the ones on tv?"

"Depends. We wear uncomfortable outfits that cost way too much, have poms, are surprisingly strong, and, most of all, we're really loud." She shrugged as they walked to class.

"And you said throwing...each other..."

"Yeah. It's moderately safe with good training. But accidents happen. It comes with the job."

"And you were...permanently injured?"

"By definition. I just can't stay in the same position for more than an hour without getting uncomfortable. I stand with my right leg straight and the other not. I'm not supposed to move certain ways but I still do..."

"That's so crazy..."

"Most of the cheer squad has a sense of recklessness." She laughed as they entered the classroom.

"Sounds like it... Do you wanna be my dance partner?"

"I would, but Nathaniel already asked me to help him. Maybe next time?"

"Yeah, sure." He smiled slightly.

She turned, and Nathaniel was walking in.

"Hey," she called and walked over to him.

"Hey. You're going to be my partner, right?"

"Yes, Nathaniel. I didn't change my mind over night," she assured with a laugh.

He smiled and looked down at his feet.

"Should I sit with you today?" she wondered aloud.

"That'd be fine."

"Alright then." She put her stuff down at the empty spot next to him and perched on the chair, expectantly. He sat down beside her, awkwardly. "Drawing or music?" she asked.

"Drawing while listening to music is the best."

"Yet again you chose secret option number 3."

"I'm an artist, therefore I an weird."

"Oh really?"

"Try me."

"The best way to know an artist is what they draw," she said with a shrug. "Weirdest thing you've ever drawn?"

"Irish President's face on Dobby's body. It works too well."

"Oh my god, I know! An Irish streamer pointed that out once and I can't." She started laughing and couldn't stop.

The teacher came in, and [y/n] forced herself to stay quiet.

[Y/n] walked with Nathaniel to music.

"So you know how to swing dance, right?"

"Yes, I know how to swing dance. Relax."

They went to class, and spent the period talking, and [y/n] pretended they weren't in a slightly romantic position.