“He’s not good at keeping his gob shut but you never know he could be a ninja at volleyball.” The boys rubbed the other teams nose in it when the score was announced, they won by a mile.

“Come on girls we won’t be too harsh on you.” Danny shouted from in the lake, our team rose to their feet. Mr Bates is wearing navy three quarter length shorts and a plain white t-shirt that like his previous one tightly fitted his muscles.

“I can’t believe Sir is in our team.” Kayleigh whispered excitedly as a group we walked into the water.

“You might as well just surrender now.” Ryan shouted and the boys laughed, the smiles were soon wiped off their faces as Mr Bates made his way into the water

“What! He’s not playing is he?”  Seb complained.

“Yes I’m taking Kelly’s place, do you have a problem with that?” he asked politely.

Kayleigh was front left, Ellie was front right, Charlotte was in the centre and I was stuck at the back with Mr Bates, he was on the left which was deeper into the lake while I was on the right which was more shallow but the water was still up to my waist we were about two car lengths away from each other. I’d spent the past four days ignoring him but as Ellie is at the front there wasn’t anything to stop him from talking to me.

“You any good at volleyball?” he asked only loud enough for me to hear while the boys’ team discussed tactics. I ignored him looking at the net “Oh come on you can’t ignore me for the next year,” he pleaded.

“I’ll give it a go,” I replied bluntly.

“Are you ready?!” Mrs Connell shouted from the bank

“Yeah!” most people shouted enthusiastically with the exception or me and Mr Bates.

The boys started off with the ball and Kayleigh soon hit it back over, three hits later and it was heading for me. I had to jump a little to reach it but managed to give it a strong hit back over, the game started to get fast paced as the boys became annoyed they weren’t winning.

Seb hit the ball back over as hard as he could and poor Kayleigh didn’t have time to react. The ball hit her straight in the face knocking her backwards into the water, Ellie was quick to get over too her helping her up, she was drenched from head to toe. Boys being boys just laughed Seb had an evil smirk all over his face like he’d done it on purpose.

“What is your problem? Just because we beat you on the raft challenge you don’t need to be bitter about it! She didn’t do anything to you!” I shouted angrily, this is one of the rare occasions I challenge someone- especially boys like Seb.

“Oh shut your mouth, it’s not our fault you’re shit at volleyball-” Seb shouted back at me, quiet gasps came from our team.

Mr Bates sudden outburst made me jump “Excuse me! Go and sit with Mrs Hall NOW. If you step out of line again I’ll be straight on the phone to your parents!” He roared angrily pointing to where the two teachers were standing on the bank “and don’t ever talk to her like that again!” he added as Seb walked away with his tail between his legs and his head hanging low like a child that’s been told off. I looked to my right at Mr Bates- I had never seen anyone so angry he wasn’t red in the face but his whole body was tense; his eyes followed Seb until he’d slumped down on his bum next to Mrs Hall. You could tell everyone was surprised by his eruption of outrage because everyone was silent all that could be heard was the gentle running of the lake and birds chirping around us. Ellie stood with Kayleigh comforting her as she rubbed he face.

“Kayleigh are you okay? You can sit out if you want” I was the first one to speak.

She nodded and made her way to the bank and sat with the third team, I fetched the ball that was floating on the water.

“Charlotte you can move to where Kayleigh was and you can serve,” I handed her the ball. The atmosphere was quite awkward but as soon as the game go going again we all relaxed- I must admit Mr Bates it the best volleyball player I have ever seen he scored most of the points for our team. Matt hit the ball over and it headed straight for sir

“It’s coming to you Ellie,” he hit it in the air Ellie jumped and done an amazing drop shot sending the ball straight in front of Matt. He dived to try to save it buy failed the ball hit the water and our team screamed with victory. I got great pleasure from seeing Seb sitting with the teachers looking very annoyed that we beat them…again.   

So far the scores are boys-1, girls-2, mixed team-0

Once we were all out of the lake and changed we were handed a white paper bag each that had our lunch in it then went off to eat we kept in our group and ate by the lake then regrouped with the rest of the class and teachers.

“Right the next challenge is a scavenger hunt, here are your lists make sure at least one of you has your phone on you in case you get lost.” We were handed a small piece of paper each that had different items on.  At each place there would be three of the same item we had to take one then as soon as we had all the things on the list the first team to get back to the meeting place wins.

“Go!” both teams ran off frantically but we stood talking we designated different items to different people as there was ten items on the list we had two items to find each. Mine were a playing card and a small teddy bear; our group dispersed and went our separate ways to try and hunt down the items in the forest.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry that not much happened in this chapter, I know some people have been asking for Mr Bates' POV and I will definetely do it for some chapters in the near future. Because I'm feeling happy this weekend, if I get five comments and five votes on this chapter I will write another one tonight and have it uploaded for tomorrow. Have a nice Saturday, littlepinkcupcake :)