Chapter 11

"What the hell was that Amari?" Kumiko stood in front of her, hands balled into fists on her hips.

The battle ended shortly after Kevon's Scorpio fell victim to the black portal that appeared mid-battle. The boys didn't put up much of a fight, instead choosing to forfeit not long after the battle began.

The two stood beside the fountain, now fully alive and flowing with its giant gusts of water. They hadn't moved far from he spot where the battle had begun.

Amari shifted her weight.

"Nothing, I just used a different card this time around."

Kumiko wasn't buying into it.

"What card was it?" she demanded.

The card had mysteriously returned to Amari's hand after teh battle conceded and they returned to the park. She quickly tried hiding the card behind her back, but Kumiko caught her wrist. She plucked the card out of Amari's hand and took a look at it.

"What kind of card even is this?" She flipped to the back and stared wide-eyed at Amari, wild disbelief in her eyes.

"It's just some Field Card-"

"Just some-" Kumiko huffed and rolled her eyes. She shoved the cow skull card into Amari's face, making sure she could get a good look at it. "This isn't just some everyday Field Card you'd find at the market. And you know that."

She threw the card at Amari who just barely managed to catch it.

"What does it matter to you?" Amari snapped back. Kumiko glared and flared her nostrils with her next exhale.

"It matters because you sent one of Kevon's Bakugan off to who knows where and he ended the battle early!"

"You were the one who wanted to join the battle in the first place!" Amari countered. "I didn't ask you to."

"I joined," Kumiko began, "Because I thought it'd be fun. We haven't had a tag team battle like that since I first got into the game."

Amari bit back her next response. She hated to admit it, but Kumiko was right. They'd played a few odd matches against one another here and there, but it was right at the beginning when the two would always battle together. Amari had gotten into the game first, almost immediately after its conception and newfound popularity online. She then took it to school with her, where she met Kumiko. As the new girl, only in her first week there, she was desperate to make friends and Kumiko happened to be the only one really willing to talk to her and be friends with her. Even then, she seemed a little conceited and entitled, but Amari didn't mind. It was nice to have someone to sit with during lunch. The two would talk all things school related and the latest videos they'd seen on the internet. When Amari showed her some new Bakguan she'd picked up, nothing seemed as interesting. It was so early on into their relationship with one another, it quite literally the foundation of it, though they didn't often play with one another anymore.

Kumiko sighed. Amari thought to apologize, but Kumiko cut her off.

"Do you even know where that Scorpio went?"

Amari shook her head. She had to give Kumiko that. She hadn't put much thought to it until now, since Kumi brought it up.

Other kids online had all lost at least one if not more of their Bakugan, but they had never said where they were sent off to, only that they were gone. And Masquerade hadn't said anything about it to her either, not even a hint that it would make a Bakugan disappear from battle, only that she needed to use it to get on his side. But was that even worth the cost of a Bakugan's life?