Chapter Fourteen

It's been exactly a year since Eleanor's death. Louis made some progress and got better. Just a little. He wasn't the same Louis, he'd laugh, but not as hard as he used to. He'd crack jokes, but not as often as he used to. He came back to One Direction after January 2015. Louis became suicidal at one dark point, December 2014. He still was. But he didn't try as hard. It was August 2015, now. It was now Eleanor's death anniversary and Louis was driving to her grave. He thought about how empty his year was and all he thought was that just a few months ago he was holding her in his arms. He wished he cherished it more.

He exited the car after parking and walked through the sad maze of tombstones. There were flowers near some and some were just empty. He saw Eleanor's and crouched down on the ground before it. He set down a rose; it was her favorite flower. He remembered how excited she'd get when she got a bouquet. He looked down at his lap and let a few tears roll down his cheeks before he spoke, "I miss you. So much. I didn't understand how you felt, but now I know. You were sad; depressed. I just wish you would've told me. I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you, I would do anything to have you come back." He sobbed quietly and let out shaky breaths.

"I am here." He heard Eleanor. His head snapped up and in front of him was Eleanor. She didn't change at all. She was wearing the same dress she wore at the funeral, her hair was done the same way, her makeup was too. Her skin was shining like it did before, she was perfect like a porcelain doll. He rubbed his eyes and looked again. All he saw was the neighboring tombstone. He sobbed louder, "Another hallucination. They're killing me, Eleanor."

His fingers laced through the grass. His love was under ground, a few feet under. It killed him to think all he'd have to do is dig up her coffin to see her lifeless face. It may have rotted, but he would've done anything. "Louis, stop crying." He looked up, no one. He looked behind him and he saw her again.

Louis closed his eyes, "I love you."

"Why don't you come with me then?" She asked, hands on hips.

"What do you mean?" Louis calmed himself down.

"It doesn't hurt really. It may for a few seconds, but then you'll spend an eternity with me. Please, I miss you." Her sweet voice said. He knew it was wrong. He shook his head.

"I can't."

"Why not? You're in pain and it's an easy way out." She seemed like she was mocking him. Louis didn't want to yell at her. He wanted to give in to his urge, but he couldn't. He made it this far. "You'll have it live decades and decades like this."

"Like what?" He whispered.

"Sad," she circled him saying the words harshly into his ear, "Lonely, depressed...pathetic." Then he realized something. This wasn't his Eleanor, it was his depression talking to him in the form of Eleanor.

+++++++

Louis drove and drove to his destination. He was speeding, but he didn't care if anything happened to him at this point. He started crossing the bridge. "This is it, your way out." 'Eleanor' said.

Louis stopped the car at the middle of the bridge. The bridge was empty, as usual. It was just his car in the sunlight. He walked to the edge. He was so high up. The rushing water over the rocks scared him. He leaned over the side so his feet were raised up in the air. He was relying on his arms to hold him, he felt his anxiety attacking his heart.

He leaned back and walked to his car. He popped open the trunk taking one bottle of beer from the six pack he had gotten. He started drinking long sips from it.

"Drink until you're numb." Her voice repeated over and over again. Louis soon became drunk, but he still knew what his goals were. He called Harry, "Hello?" He answered.

"Harry!" Louis exclaimed, "How are you?"

"Are you...are you drunk?" Harry replied. Harry knew the answer to the question, Louis never called anyone first anymore.

"You didn't answer my question." Louis slurred.

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"Shitty. Very, very shitty." Louis chuckled. "That doesn't matter though. I called to say goodbye."

"What? What do you mean? Where are you?" Harry asked, alarmed. Louis out his beer bottle on the railing of the bridge, looking down at the rushing water. He wasn't scared anymore.

"Sunrise bridge. I'm gonna do it, no one can stop me." Louis said, "You're too far anyway."

"Oh, no, I'm not. I'm on my way." Harry hung up. Miranda was right by him.

"Harry, what happened?" She asked. Harry took off his apron and plastic gloves. He threw them to the side.

"It's Louis. He's gonna do something bad." He took his keys from his pocket.

"I'm coming with you." She started removing her gloves and her apron as well.

"No, you're not going to witness this." He stopped his actions and looked at her.

"It's too late. I've witnessed too much, already." Miranda took her hair out of the messy bun. "Let's go."

Harry let her go and on the way Harry called his other three bandmates. They were already on their way.

They all met at the bridge. Louis was walking on the railing, preparing himself. He looked at the arriving vehicles. He smiled as they ran out of their cars, "Hello." He kicked the beer bottle off the railing so it'd fall into the rushing water.

"You guys aren't going to stop me." He said, seriously.

"Louis, stop. We love you, you can't do this." Niall said. Miranda covered her mouth while she silently cried.

"It's gonna be okay." Liam said.

"You're wrong it isn't." He turned around so he was ready to jump. Miranda spoke up, "Wait!"

"What's Miranda doing here?" Louis turned his head to look at her.

"Louis, don't do this. Please. I've seen too many depressed people, too many suicides. Too many lives lost." Miranda said. She was going to spill her secrets to help save his life. "My mom was depressed. She was since my dad died in the car accident three years ago. She wouldn't even talk to me some days. It hurt, a lot. But, I told her it'd get better even though she wouldn't talk to me. She was depressed for a year until she finally killed herself. I found her hanging in her bedroom after work. I lost both my parents and my life. I had to move in with my grandma. We had a funeral and everyone was hearbroken. We still are. Do you want that to happen to everyone you love?"

Everyone was silent when she finished. They looked at her.

"Louis, don't listen to her. She wants to separate us. Hurry." Eleanor said. She was floating in front of him, her arms reached out to hold his hands.

"I'm sorry." And with that Louis let himself fall.

"No!" Everyone screamed they all ran to the edge. Miranda started sobbing. Harry hugged her while he started crying. Everyone was crying. All but a Louis. As Louis was falling to his death, he never felt more alive. It was ironic. The air rushing through his hair and pushing his loose t-shirt against his body felt good. He enjoyed the feeling, but after a few moments he didn't feel anything. All he heard was his body hit the rocks with a thud and a crack.