Chapter Twelve - Terrible Memories and Recovered Fear

I woke up to the piercingly bright lights coming from an unfamiliar room. Every time i tried to open them it was a major struggle.

I saw my mom sitting in a chair by the door looking around and playing with her fingers nervously. Stephanie was in the chair next to her tapping away on her phone. I shut my eyes again, not wanting them to know I was awake so I could have some peaceful time in my head.

There was a pounding headache in my head, and all of my joints hurt. I had no idea where I was or why I was here, but the last thing I remember was the candy...and then everything was pretty fuzzy.

There came the sound of a squeaking door and then soft footsteps.

"Mrs. Reese, can I talk to you for a second outside?" a low, but strong voice said.

"Sure, Doctor Hanophy." my mother's voice responded. Doctor? Was I in a hospital?

I heard them both leave and I opened my eyes to find Stephanie staring at me from across the room.

"Hey." I said softly, giving her a weak smile.

"Don't 'hey' me, what the hell were you thinking?" she got up and came to the side of the bed, her hands on her hips.

"Steph, I-" I didn't know what to say, could someone please tell me why I was here???

"Do you konw how much trouble it would have put us in? You could have died, Payton, did you ever think of that? Of course not, because you do whatever you want whenever you want." she said, beginning to ramble to herself.

I tried to sit up more in the bed, but Stephanie but her arm lightly on my shoulder, "Lay down, the doctor said it's not good to sit up yet, your heads gonna hurt." her voice came out soft, and I did as she said.

"Could you tell me why I'm here?"

"You honestly don't remember?" she asked, her eyes widening a slight bit.

"It's kind of hazy after we drove home." I say, my voice cracking.

"You OD'ed." (A/N: spelling?) she whispered quietly, sitting in a chair next to the bed and holding my hand. I had never seen her like this, so nice. We didn't have that good of a relationship, but I guess I had myself to blame for that.

"I what?" my voice barely audible. 

She nodded, "Mom found you passed out in the bathroom, we took you here to the hospital and they said there was traces of recently taken Seroquel in you blood. You haven't taken that in years."

"It's only been a few months..."

"They're going to question you though, so tell them the truth please." she said and the door opened at the end of the room.

"Ah, she's up!" the voice of the doctor returned and I looked at Dr. Hanophy, seeing my mother run in behind him, coming over to give me a giant hug.

"Oh, sweetheart! I was so worried!" she muffled into my shirt.

"So, Payton, do you remember anything that happened?" Dr. Hanophy's calming voice rang out as my mother let go of me.

"Uh, a little. What day is it?" I sounded stupid, but who knew how long I'd been asleep!

"It's still Wednesday, around 7 o'clock, you've only been here a few hours. But I want to talk to you about what happened. There was Seroquel found in your blood. Where did you get it?" he looked at me expectantly.

"I had a perscription for it in 9th grade..." It was starting to come back to me, the candy, the toilet, the cabinet searching, and then the old discovered pills. "I found them in the back of the cabinet and I don't know why I took them." I say. I looked up to the ceiling, not knowing what to say. Was I going to get in trouble?