Chapter Nine - Muddy Baths and Dirty Showers

"Carter, don't." I say sternly, holding my hand out to him. But he just smiles stupidly, a small glint in his eyes. "Give me the bird statue back."

"But it looks like they're doing it." he says with a small smirk.

"What are you? Five years old?!" I exclaim, grabbing the small cement statue and putting it back into the dirt. "We have to water the plants before they all dry out. Can you go get the hose from the side of the house while I pull out some more weeds?"

He nods and then leaves the backyard, heading for the side.

"So, explain to me why you're doing laborous chores when your parents aren't home?" Dan called from the window he was cleaning on the second floor.

"Because, my mom wanted them done all this week, but I didn't, and now that she's pissed she wants them done and having a major hangover won't work as an excuse for not doing them. They are a little extreme for a 16 year old, I know, but it's the only way I keep my priveledges in this house." I say, a slightly bitter tone to my voice.

I stood back up and was happy I was finally finished with everything we had to do today. I just had to wait fo Carter to get back here with the hose and I could-

"Ahhhhhh!!!!" I screeched, startled by the feeling of cold water hitting my back. I jumped up and down trying to escape the sudden jolt of coldness but I only felt relief when it stopped being shot in my direction. I whipped my head around and saw Carter standing there with a devious look on his face. He turned the hose on again and sprayed water into the air, causing sprinkles of it to land on both of us, a daring smirk on his face. "What. The. Hell?!" I said, emphasizing each word as I took small steps towards him, "Carter, I worked so nice on this all day, I swear to God if you mess this up at all I will take a knife and cut off your-" Water, again. This time in the face, but softer and warmer, probably because it heated up.

I looked at my feet and could feel my sneakers sticking to the wet and muddy ground. "Why did you do that, again?" I ask him, the frustration of him acting childish getting on my nerves. Did he not realize how much hard work we did all day?!

"Because it gets you mad, and your fiesty when you're mad, and its cute." he said, giving a small wink and stepping towards me. I bent down to try and pick up some of the mud that had formed beneath my feet, but his hand stopped me, holding my wrist tightly. "Not so fast, smart one." but I pulled down on his wrist, causing me to slip on the wet grass and land me on my butt, he laughed from above me.

"A little help?" I asked, he put out his hand to help me up, but I pulled him down instead, sending him face first into the slowly growing mud puddle.

"Ha!" I said, grabbing the hose and spraying it in the air above him, making sure to soak his clothes. I kneeled next to him and reached my hand into the mud next to him, ready to mush it into his hair.

"Don't even think about it." he said looking at me, real fear in his bright blue eyes.

"And what if I do?" I whisper in his ear, a smile playing on my lips.

"Well we can't have that now can we?" he asked, and suddenly his hands came around my waist and he flipped me around so that he was now straddled on top of me. I crossed my arms over my chest and frowned, not liking the direction this took.

Despite the small amount of mud I got on him, I could still smell his rich, musty goodness. He was daringly close, sending my hormones running wild just like they had this morning. I gulped. I loved his smell that always smelt like rich caramel and cinnamon, but at the same time was a small whiff of coconut, it got my mouth watering.

He dipped his finger in the mud and wiped it on my nose. 

"Thats not fair." I said, rubbing it off my nose and wiping it on his shirt.