Dia followed his gaze and noticed there was some kind of device, for lack of a better term, anchored to the wall.

Dia squinted, then her eyes widened in the shock of recognition. "Is that...a Scrambler?"

Omen's only answer was to take out a grenade. "Take cover." 

A second later, Omen pushed the button at the top of it, arming the grenade. Dia had just the time to hide behind a wall before the room was engulfed by the explosion. A few seconds later, when the smoke faded, there was nothing left of the device, except scrap metal and debris.

Omen eyed his handiwork in grim satisfaction then tapped on his comm. "Mitchell, can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear, captain."

"What's the situation up there?" Omen asked impatiently.

"Omen." It wasn't Mitchell to answer, but Sarah. "We've been hit pretty hard, but we are fine all things considered."

"...like the doctor said, the situation is stable, captain." The pilot said, irritation echoing in her voice. 

"Hit?" Dia asked Omen.

"Later." Omen whispered to her. "Sarah, what about the mercs?"

"They're still in one piece." Sarah answered. Judging by the tone of her voice, she wasn't particularly happy. "They're disposing of the bodies at the moment."

Dia sighed with relief, loosening her grip on the gun.

"Then I gather that the mission was a success?"

"Affirmative, captain." Mitchell answered. "All hostiles have been neutralized."

"Glad to hear that." Omen said. "What about the pirates down here? Can you tell us how many of them are left?"

"According to the trackers in their armor...fourteen of them are still alive." Mitchell paused. "Beware, captain. They are heading your way."

Dia cursed under her breath.

Omen paid no attention to her and asked, "How much time do we have left?"

"Not much." Mitchell said. "They are taking an alternative route, but they are moving fast. At the current speed, they'll be there in thirteen minutes, eleven..."

"We get it, Mitchell." He turned toward Dia. "Let's get moving."

As they kept moving toward the outer part of the ring, the way got darker. The working lights were less and less, and soon they were forced to use their torches as they made their way through the debris and the broken furniture scattered everywhere on the old floor.  

They stepped through the umpteenth door, which probably led to another hallway just like countless others. However, as soon as they entered, Dia felt the air getting colder around her. Her instincts nagged at her again, alerting her that something wasn't right. Maybe Omen felt the same thing because, as if by mutual agreement, they both slowed down.

As they turned around a corner, they proceeded cautiously, yet nothing could have prepared them for what they saw next. Thousands of stasis pods stretched from the floor to the high ceiling. They were stacked on top of each other, forming some sort of beehive. Resting inside each of them, the same creatures Dia had faced before. 

"Mitchell, are you seeing this?" Omen asked on the comms. He sounded a bit out of breath.

"Affirmative, Captain." Her reply came after a few seconds delay. "Stand by. Analyzing now."

"There are thousands of them, Omen." Dia whispered, and stood very still for fear they could hear her. "Tens of thousands. If Gibson wakes them up..."