9.3

Unedited/First draft.

"Omen" Reyes said, glaring at him like he wanted to skin him alive. But his face softened when he looked at Dia. "Dia, you look amazing in that dress."

"Thank you" She managed to say, her knuckles whitening as she clenched her fists.

"I must say whoever picked that dress has a great taste."

Dia snorted. Whoever?

Reyes waited for some seconds, maybe expecting her to say something. When she didn't, he turned to look at Omen, and all the warmth was gone, replaced by a frosty expression.

"Suzanne told me you kicked her out, Omen." He said with disapproval.

"Her lack of manners was compromising the mission." Omen replied, as usual very professional and straight to the point. He seemed calm as he bore the brunt of Reyes' anger.

Reyes, on the other hand, blinked quite baffled by his answer. It seemed Suzanne had forgotten to mention why Omen kicked her out in the first place.

"Compromising the mission? How?"

"She was insulting Dia." Omen explained.

Reyes narrowed his eyes.

"Dia?" He whispered. "I didn't realize you two were on a first-name basis, Omen."

"We aren't." Dia hastened to say, but Reyes was still staring at Omen.

"And what did Suzanne say about Dia?" Reyes asked, putting emphasis on her name like he was the only one who could say it.

"Suzanne questioned her virtue." Omen replied, wisely choosing to avoid confrontation altogether.

Well, that's a very roundabout way of saying that she called me a whore.

"Really? Sorry about that." He said to Dia, his tone apologetic. "Suzanne can be a bit blunt sometimes. But I wonder if that's all." Reyes returning to stare at Omen.

"Sorry, captain. I don't understand what you mean." Omen answered, playing dumb like a pro.

"Nevermind. Maybe I was wrong" He said, but the look on his face said otherwise. "Now, I'm sure you took great care of my Dia." He said, and Omen's lips tightened. "But we have something to talk about, Dia and I."

Well aware Reyes was dismissing him, Omen gave him a stiff nod.

"Well then, I leave you to it." He said before heading for the door, but as he passed close to Dia, he stopped.

"Don't lose your temper. No matter what." Omen whispered in her ear and then he was gone.

Reyes scowled when Omen got close to her, but Dia wasn't looking at him at the moment. She smelled something when Omen approached her. 

Tobacco?

It was a strong and lingering smell and Dia was sure she smelled it somewhere before, but she couldn't remember where. She was still thinking about it when Reyes talked.

"I'm sorry about the clothes and...everything else." He said all of a sudden, catching her off guard. "I suppose I should have warned you first."

Dia glared at him.

"You should have." 

"You're right. You're right," He said nodding several times. "but you have to admit they look good on you. Now, you're less like an imperial soldier and more like someone of the Ether system. I like it. Maybe I should buy you an entire wardrobe."