“Relax, oppa, I was just teasing.” She cut off his babbling with a shake of her head.

“Oh. Right.” He gave a sheepish smile. “Well, I’ll bring him next time.” He promised.

“You’d better. I need to meet this boy that’s stolen my oppa’s heart. Make sure he’s up to standard. You know I never liked Jaehyun.” He’d told her about the incident at the funeral and in typical sibling fashion, she’d been quick to say ‘I told you so’.

“Well maybe you should have said something before I went and made a mess of everything.” He said wryly and she tsked sharply in disapproval.

“I did. You with your stubborn pride and soft heart didn’t listen.” She scolded. “This is why I should meet this Jeongguk. A woman knows these things.” She said sagely and he gave a snort of derision.

“And where might I find one of them, because all I see is an opinionated girl here.”

Instead of rising to the bait she merely lifted a brow. “And I see a foolish, love-struck boy. Love has always made you blind, Taehyung-oppa. It wouldn’t hurt to listen to my opinion once in a while. I’m quite good at reading people.”

“Ah.” He gave her a broad smile and nodded, touched by the concern he saw under the abrasive rebuke. “Perhaps it wouldn’t at that. Eomma Jin knows best, after all.”

“Damn right I do.” She muttered and he frowned.

“Eonjin! Language!” She rolled her eyes.

“I swear you’re worse than an old maid sometimes.”

The spent more than two hours at the small cafe, nursing their drinks and catching up as much as they could. Eonjin filled him in about their Papa’s illness. She told him of the expectation that Jeonggyu would take over the family business and her insistence that her younger brother was an even bigger fool that her older one and their father would have done better to leave things in her capable hands. She assured him she’d cut all ties with Jaehyun after what he’d done, snubbing him the way only the wealthy and elite knew how. He had laughed a little at that, not at Jaehyun's misfortune, but at the memory of the insulated world he had once been a part of.

He told her of Jeongguk; his small business that he had put on hold for the moment and his aspiration to be a vet. She had been displeased to hear about his lack of friends and tasked him with meeting someone new by the next time he saw her. He laughed good naturedly, but knew he probably wouldn’t.

Finally she checked her phone and frowned, unaware of the time they’d spent lost in the contented familiarity of each other’s company. “I have to go. I have afternoon classes.” She informed him, picking up her small hand bag. “I’ve missed you, oppa. Come to dinner this weekend.” She insisted.

“Eonjin.” He sighed. “You know Eomma doesn’t want to see me.”

“Eomma’s wrong.” She grated. “Leave her to me. Just say you’ll come. Jeonggyu won’t admit it but he misses you too. He needs another man around. Now that Papa’s gone, he whines incessantly about being ‘overrun’ with females. Auntie’s been staying with Eomma since the funeral.”

“Ok.” He said at last. “As long as it’s alright with Eomma.” He stipulated

“Like I said, leave her to me. Sunday. That way you can leave early should you need to. Yes?”

He chuckled again. “Yeah, alright.”

“And for goodness sakes, get a pair of slacks and a jacket. I can’t believe you came to Papa’s funeral in jeans and a t-shirt.”

“It wasn’t a t-shirt!” He argued.

“It wasn’t a suit.” She fired back.

“I was a starving student. Literally.” He defended himself.

“Well you aren’t anymore. So get yourself a suit.”

“It’s just a family dinner, Eonjin.” He reminded her.

“I know you spoke the words, but did you actually hear yourself?” She scoffed. “Just a family dinner. With our mother?”

“You’re right. You’re right.” He conceded. “I forgot. I’ll get a suit.”

“Wonderful.” She leant in to kiss his cheek and clasped him warmly in her embrace. She smelled like home. He inhaled deeply and hugged her back. “I’ll see you Sunday. Six pm. Don’t be late or we’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Six, got it.” He agreed and they parted ways, each feeling a little more complete than they had when they first sat down.

A/N BTW, if you don't follow Staerrykookah go check them out. Their fic Homerun https://my.w.tt/acBOG0ulgX is a huge inspiration for my soft dom Tae.

Hopefully you guys didn't get confused with the whole 'Jin/Jinnie/Eomma Jin' thing in this chapter. And if you did, get over it, cos that's now officially her nickname. 🤣

Remember to vote, my darlings.

I purple you! 💜💜💜💜