Twenty Two

Taehyung unlocked the door of his new apartment, holding it open for Jeongguk who walked through and stood in the sparsely furnished space looking around with disinterest.

“You moved.” A dull statement.

“Ah, yes. I thought Mrs Kim told you. My father left it to me.” He looked around the space, faintly embarrassed by how spartan it was. “I, uh, I haven’t had a chance to buy furniture or anything. We’ll have to share the bed.”

“Ok.” Jeongguk dumped his bag on the floor and Taehyung frowned at the action.

“That doesn’t belong there.” He told the hybrid firmly. He wouldn’t abide mess.

Jeongguk looked at him, but it was as though he was looking through him, then he looked at the bag he’d just dropped.

“Bring it into the bedroom. I’ll assign you a drawer.” Taehyung instructed and Jeongguk mutely picked up the bag and followed him into the master bedroom. There was a second bedroom, but it was completely empty.

“So you can have the bottom three.” Taehyung indicated the drawers built into the walk in robe. “And this side of the hanging space if you need it.” He explained.

“Ok.” Guk said again in that listless voice as he began putting away his clothes where Taehyung indicated in a mechanical fashion.

“Are you hungry?” Taehyung asked after the hybrid completed the task.

Jeongguk shrugged. “Not really.”

“Oh. Ah, well, I don’t have much in the cupboards anyway.” He said weakly, the hybrid’s despondent mood seemed to be contagious.

Taehyung felt doubt creep into his thoughts. Had he done the right thing bringing Jeongguk home with him? He had been angry and indignant on the hybrid’s behalf, almost wild with concern and he had made the offer without properly thinking it through. As much as he knew about Jeongguk personally, he still didn’t know an awful lot about hybrid’s in general. How was he supposed to act? Like his friend? Like his owner? What did being an owner truly entail anyway? He wasn’t sure Namjoon’s relationship with Jeongguk was the best example. It had obviously been dysfunctional.

What did he really know about caring for a hybrid anyway? He’d let his emotions cloud his judgement, arrogantly assuming he was the best option for the hybrid. But was he really? He wanted to help Jeongguk get better, desperately. But he didn’t know how. He was probably just making things worse for the wounded boy, ripping him from his family home and thrusting him in a new environment that wasn’t even catered to his needs. He didn’t even have any food, for goodness sakes!

He took a deep, steadying breath, not allowing his anxiety to take control of him. He needed to remain calm and in control of the situation. Jeongguk needed him. He just had to approach the problem rationally. First things first, he would attend to the hybrid’s physical state. Jeongguk needed to eat, even if he wasn’t hungry. He was probably dehydrated as well. He also needed a shower and a changer of clothes. His hair definitely needed washing. His claws probably needed clipping again too. He should probably also take him to a hybridologist for a check up. He would message Mrs Kim and request the contact information of Jeongguk’s regular doctor.

Once his course of action had been decided on, he felt much better. “Jeongguk.” He called softly to get the attention of the hybrid who now sat on the edge of his bed staring at the pastel grey carpet blankly.

His ears twitched, but he didn’t respond. Pressing his lips together, Taehyung crouched before the boy, angling his chin up to meet his eyes. “Hey.” He murmured, giving him a small, encouraging smile. Jeongguk looked at him blandly for a second before his eyes slid away to stare at nothing again.