Just a No-Maj

Elaine's POV

   I gasp as I drop the wand and get up, stumbling backwards,bumping into Tina. I keep trying to get away, to not even be close to that thing.
   "Elaine! Calm down!" she says as she grabs my shoulders.
   "Let.. Me.. Go!" I struggle against her.
   She stands her ground, not releasing her grip.
   "Stop! Stop.."
   I feel myself losing control as I break down and fall to my knees, sobbing.
   "I just want this to be over already.." I cry.
   "I think it is." Newt says.
   I look up at him, hope glimmering in my eyes.
   "You think? How? The wand-"
   "-would have dissapeared if it was under Grindelwald's power."
   I stand back up, my eyes not leaving the wand. It's a dark, reddish brown. The handle is smooth and plain, while the rest of the wand it more complex. I take a step closer and crouch down to take a better look. It's like leaves that swirl around the wood that transform into flowers as it reaches the tip. So complicate yet so simple, so delicate.
   I pick it up carefully and hold it in my extendend hands. Why did it not dissapear? It always does..
   "Would you mind if I, um.." Newt says, gesturing towards the wand.
   "Sure"
   I hand it to him and he he starts examining it.
   "This is definetly cherry wood from the colour and texture. It has a.. QuiteBendy flexibility and is also pretty long.. I'm thinking about 14 inches."
  "Wow!" I say. "You know a lot about wands."
   "Yeah, I see someone has been reading that book on  wands... over and over again." Theseus chims in.
   "For your information, it is actually very interesting." Newt mutters. "I'd say the core is unicorn hair, considering your personality, but.. it was turned to Dark Magic and controlled, and unicorn hair would not do that, so I'm leaning towards Dragon heartstring" He looks at it for a few more seconds, thinking. "Yes, that has to be it"
   He looks at me and hands me back the wand.
   "This wand is extremely powerful. Cherry wood and Dragon heartstring is a dangerous combination." he finishes.
   I take it back in my hand, handling it even more carefully than before.
   Cherry wood? Dragon heartsring?
   "Oh honey, I know it's a lot of information." Queenie says. "But it's good news, so be happy!"
   "Good news? What do you mean? "
She looks at Tina, who nods and motions me awkwardly to sit down. I look down at the dirty bridge floor and look back at her, raising an eyebrow.
   "Nevermind." she mumbles.
   She grabs my hands and inhales deeply.
   "Okay..this is stressing me out. Can you tell me already?" I say anxiously.
   "Elaine-You migh be a witch." Tina says.
   I stand still for a few seconds, millions of thoughts racing in my head.
   Then I burst out laughing.
   "That is a good one! You almost got me!"
   No one else laughs.
   "This-this is a joke right?"
   My laughter dies down when they all shake their heads.
   The reality of the situation sinks in. I might   actally be a witch? No. I can't be. I never was!
   "But-but how? I can't be a witch. I'm just a.. er, how do you call it.."
   "No-Maj?" Queenie says.
   "Yes, that's it."
   I look at all of them.
   "I'm just a No-Maj."
   Newt comes forward and puts his case down.
   "No, Elaine. I think you're so much more than that."
   "How can you be sure?"
   Theseus addresses me for the first time.
   "Do something."
   "What?" I say, confused.
   "Do something with the wand."
   "But I don't know-"
   I stop and remember the book that I was reading before I came here. The book Queenie gave me. It had spells.
   I close my eyes and try to remember one. There was was that caught my eye. Even though I had no idea what a wizarding duel was and how it worked, I agreed with the author. A disarming spell can come very in handy at anytime.
   I open my eyes and grip my wand tighter. I point it towards Theseus, trying to remember to motion I have to do.
   "Expeliarmus." I say.
   Nothing happens. I lower my hand and look down. How come I am so dissapointed about a thing I never even had?
   "Try again." Newt encourages me.
   "What's the point?"
   "Just try. Casting a spell is not easy, especially for the first time."
   I nod and inhale deeply. I try to convince myself that there is a possibility but I don't want to become hopeful.
   "Oh come on, Newt. She's right. It really is useless."Theseus says. "She doesn't have power, it's clear. Grindelwald obviously chose her because she is a weak girl who is oblivious to anything that is happening around her. "
   I feel the anger building inside me as I roll my left hand into a fist, trying not to scream..I just saved them, how can he say that I am weak?! Does he have any idea how hard it was?
   "I don't even see the point of keeping her around. Let's just Obliviate her. "
   I look up at him, rage filling my eyes.
  "Oh, and that means erasing your memory. Not that you'll need to know that." he says while raising his wand.
   I raise mine first, anger boiling inside me.
   "Expeliarmus!" I shout.
   A red light bursts from my wand and hits Theseus. His wand flies out of his hand, landing a few feet behind him. He also stumbles back and falls to the ground.
As the anger fades away,I realise what I've done.
   "Oh my, I'm so sorry!"
   I walk over to where Theseus is on the ground. I really hope I didn't hurt him.
   "Theseus, are you alright?" I ask.
    He looks at me and... smiles? Around me, everyone is chucking.
   "Oh, you did not." I say, trying to stay serious, but failing as I start to chuckle as well.
   He was lying! He intended to make me mad so I had more motivation to cast the spell.
   "Alright then." he says, brushing the dirt off his coat. "I guess we have an answer."
  I look at my wand, amd for the first time since this all started, I feel truly happy. Complete.
   I am a witch.