Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Why don't you do the guarding? It will probably be better for her." A question suddenly came out from my mouth.

"What?" He stated in a serious tone.

"I mean, with all your strength or whatever, you can easily protect her." I said.

"I told you, I can't." He answered.

"You're such a wuss." I said as I went out of my house.

I went to the changing room and wore my uniform. Ah, I forgot my necktie in my room. I went back to my room to get it. But then, I saw Kaneki and Yukari bumped into each other.

"Ah.. S-Sorry.." Yukari stated as she looked down.

Kaneki didn't say a word and gave her his cold eyes that appear when he's fighting.

"Next time, look at where you are going to." He said with a glare.

He instantly left, completely ignoring Yukari. He really is too cold on her. He doesn't act like that with Nishiki, Irimi-san, Hinami-chan, and me. Only with her.. I wonder what happened between them?

"What's his problem?! It was him who wasn't paying attention! Stupid Kaneki! I hate you!" She shouted out of frustration.

"Be quiet." I said as I passed her.

"S-Sorry, Touka-senpai.." She said as she slightly bowed.

As soon as I finished my work, I went back to my house.

"Welcome back, Touka-onee-chan!" Hinami-chan greeted me.

"Hinami, I have a question for you." I said.

"What is it?" She asked.

"How does Kaneki act towards you?" I asked.

"He's gentle with me but, I can feel his sadness. It's like, he's carrying something that's a big burden to him. I want the old onii-chan.." She said.

"I see.." I gave her a faint smile.

See? Even Hinami sensed it. Something is wrong with him. I tried to follow Kaneki's faint scent. I ended up Anteiku's secret underground basement and pathway where I used to train him.

There are a lot of books relating to fighting scattered around the place.He was training so hard that he was covered with sweat.

"Kaneki." I called.

He looked at me with his usual sad expression.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he stopped.

"You're training again, huh?" I said.

"Yeah.. I want to become stronger.." He mumbled.

"What for?" I asked.

"I want to protect everyone." He replied.

I chuckled at him for that phrase.

"What?" He asked.

"You're saying that when you can't even protect a single, weak girl." I scoffed.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"You know who 'SHE' is." I emphasized.

"I thought I told you the reason." He said.

"Why are you being too cold to her? The way you act towards her is like she's just a prey for you." I said.

He snickered as he turned to me with his cold, killer eyes.

"Well, she IS a prey." He emphasized.

"What?" I exclaimed.

"Don't get the wrong idea just because she's my childhood friend." He said.

"But, in order not to hurt her, you gave me the privilege to protect her, right?" I said.

"Yeah. I don't want her to be damage as much as possible. I want to eat her at her most delicious state." He said with a smirk.

I felt irritated at the way he spoke. This isn't the Kaneki I wanted to talk to.

"Stop thinking like that." I said as I was angry.

"What?" He exclaimed as he was surprised.

"You say you'll eat her but, you just wanted her to be protected properly, right?" I said.

"What are you talking about?"

"You actually care for her so much that you're training so hard to control your uncontrollable desire for flesh, right?" I said.

"No. Stop spouting nonsense." He said with a glare.

"Don't lie, Kaneki. I know you care for her just as you care for your friends at Anteiku." I said.

"Shut up!" He shouted angrily.

Oh, he got angry.

"I don't care for her.." He mumbled as he looked away.

Looking at him, I noticed that his ears were red and he was touching his chin. Ah, I get it.. He's lying. What a good liar.

"Fine, fine. I get it." I stated as I started going away.

I stopped behind him and patted his back.

"You don't have to react so much." I teased him as I snickered.

"Hmph." He exclaimed as he looked away.

I went back to the shop. It feels like I've won. I feel happy that it looks like I humiliated him. Haha..

End of Chapter 18