Alexis Wings and Mechanical Legs

The Alexis Wings and Mechanical Legs

‘Where am I’ Demi whispered, rubbing the sleep from her eyes with the inside of one of her fingers. As she opened her eyelids she started to remember what had happened and sat up swiftly. It seemed as if she was in some kind of hospital as she could see many nurses in white uniforms with big red crosses on them and on top of that she was laying in a large bed in the middle of a extraordinarily clean room.

‘Ah I see you are finally awake.’ Demi turned her head around to see a nurse with a clip board in her arms and a happy smile on her face.

‘How long have I been out for, then?’ Demi exclaimed quite worriedly.

‘Not long really, A few days but considering you were in that gas you’ve made an exceptional recovery. You see, that gas was made up of great toxics from an unknown beast that the kids were doing dissections on today and if inhaled for too long could put the person into a long sleep. You know a coma. However although you made a great recovery it doesn’t mean everyone else did. A boy called Benny Ridget was not so lucky. He was caught in the gas like you and if you hadn’t have got him out he might have been in a real traumatic situation. I am telling you all this as I feel that you should know what you were involved with and hope that in return for this information you will tell me what you remember about your time in the gas.’

‘Oh, well, I felt dizzy, sick and well rather relaxed, I don’t know why.’

‘Really, fascinating, I shall be right on that. Thank you Demi. Anything else you remember?’

‘I’m sorry no, well actually I do remember seeing a kind of angel up on the ceiling glowing so extravagant colours. It was a young girl with long blonde hair like mine with just the prettiest face.’

‘Ahh so you were also delusional, thank you for your help little lady’ the nurse bowed for Demi as if gesturing her departure and turned for the door. ‘Oh before I forget I just want to tell you that you must stay in bed, I know it might be boring but we just need to analyse your status for a little longer and test for lung cancer or Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis but soon you’ll be out of here. I am sure that you will be fine with this won’t you?’

As Demi nodded the nurse left the room and all of the other ward workers shortly followed leaving just Demi and the boy Benny alone. Demi jumped out of bed once the coast was clear and ran towards the boy who still seemed to be unconscious.

Poor guy, I hope he wakes up soon.

Demi was always compassionate. She always hated it when she found out that someone close to her was sick in any way so no one back home would ever tell her if someone was in hospital, they would usually wait for the person to get better again before telling her what had happened or in the worst case scenarios always end with ‘they will be alright soon’ even if they knew that the person wouldn’t.   

But this time Demi was going to be strong. She didn’t even know the boy but for some reason seeing him asleep made her get all emotional and for some reason her heart started to race.

Do I like, like like this guy?

Demi gently laid her hand on his head and wished him all the best before returning to her hospital bed, where she noticed that behind the bed rest were loads of chocolates and sweets of all shapes and sizes.

As she went to pick one of the particularly delicious looking chocolates up she saw that there were some tags attached to them which seemed to be the senders ‘get well soon’ note. Demi didn’t know that she was already loved so much by the other kids after only one day. The fact that she would get even one chocolate would have been fantastic let alone getting many.