2019 Father's Day Story #1: Broken Hearts Can Mend

Rachel's POV
                                            It was Father's Day and I was walking to the library when I heard people yelling at each other in the distance. Curious, I went in the direction of the voices I heard. I ended up in the woods and just when I was about to turn back, I saw Ira and a male Mercenare, they seemed to be in a very heated argument, I hid in between the bushes as I watched them fight. I took a good look at the man Ira was fighting with, he kind of looked like Ira, but more mature-looking and taller. I listened in on the conversation.
Ira:"WHY ARE YOU HERE?!?! LEAVE!!!"
Man:"Ira, I know you're angry, but just let me explain-
Ira:"WHAT IS THERE TO EXPLAIN?!?! YOU LEFT ME ALONE FOR TEN YEARS STRAIGHT TO FEND ON MY OWN, AND NOW YOU JUST SHOW UP OUT OF NOWHERE?!?!?!?!"
Man:"Ira, I realize that, but can't we start over? I was just upset about your mother and-
Ira:"THAT DOESN'T MAKE UP FOR WHAT YOU DID!!!! I WAS NO MORE THAN FOUR YEARS OLD AND YOU JUST LEFT ME WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A GOODBYE!!!!"
Man:"son, can't we talk this out-
Ira:"NO!!! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CALL ME THAT!!!! NOR DO YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL YOURSELF MY FATHER!!!!!"
Me:"..."
'That's Ira's DAD?!?!'
I thought in shock. Ira started to march over to his dad and his dad was backing away as Ira came closer.
Ira:"YOU'RE THE MOST SELFISH, HEARTLESS, CHEATING, LIER I'VE EVER KNOWN AND IF I EVER SEE YOUR STUPID FACE AGAIN, I'LL HAVE YOU ARRESTED AND YOU CAN SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IN A SPLENDORIAN PRISON CELL!!!!!!"
Ira shouted in pure rage and sadness as he finally stopped walking to his father. After a moment of silence, Ira clenched his fists so tight they were slightly shaking and gritted his teeth. Then, I saw something I thought I'd never see...Ira...was crying. His father lifted up his hand to wipe one of Ira's tears, but Ira smacked his hand away before he could.
Ira:"don't...touch me..."
Ira said, coldly, his hand still in the air from when he smacked his dad's hand away. His dad looked at him with guilt and sorrow in his eyes, and then teleported away. Ira still stood there, not moving an inch from his current position even though his father was gone. Until, he dropped his hand to his side and fell to his knees, looking at the ground with his hair concealing his face. I only figured out that he was still crying when I saw tear drops falling onto the ground. I slowly came out from the bushes as he cried silently and walked over to him. His bat wings pricked up as I approached him and he looked at me with tears on his face.
Ira:"D-Diamond? What are you doing here?!"
Ira questioned, trying to avoid the fact that he's crying. Then, his eyes widened with realization.
Ira:"...how much of that did you hear?"
Me:"...enough to know that you need someone with you."
I said, sitting down beside him.
Me:"so? Why were you two fighting? On Father's Day no less."
Ira:"..."
Ira hesitated, but told me.
Ira:"...*sigh*fine...my dad cheated on my mom and they divorced and I lived with my mom. My mom would cry a lot and get drunk, and me, only being 4 at the time..I had no idea what depression was or any of that. One day, I woke up and I went into my mom's room...only to find that she hung herself."

(A/N OH NO!!!! SAYORI!!!! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist😅...)

I gasped in both shock and horror when he said that. No child should have to see that at 4 years old!!
Ira:"...so, I went into my dad's care...but, he was so caught up in his own guilt that he ran away and left me alone. So, I had to fend for myself, living as an orphan for god knows how long until Marmo and Bel came and let me stay with them."
Me:"...that's horrible...do Bel and Marmo know about any of this?"
Ira:"...yeah...they know everything..."
Me:"..."
Ira:"...but it's fine...I'm mostly over it, I'm just really irritated that he just showed up out of nowhere and had the nerve to look me in the eyes and try to tell me he's "sorry"!"
Me:"...Ira...it's normal for someone to feel overwhelmed because of guilt...I'm not saying that what he did was okay, I'm just saying that...well, he was probably just really upset and didn't know how to deal with it."
Ira:"yeah, well...he should've thought about that before he cheated...I was serious when I said he'll get locked up if I see him again."
Ira tried to look like he wasn't bothered by it, but I knew that deep down, he just wished his relationship with his dad wasn't so bad, so that he didn't have to feel this way. I sat closer to Ira and pulled him into a hug. At first, he flinched, but then he eased into it and rested his head on my shoulder. We stayed like that for what felt like forever until we pulled away from each other. We both stood up and I could see a tint of pink on his cheeks, I could feel myself blushing, too.
Ira:"u-um...I...should go now..."
Me:"...yeah...me, too..."
Ira:"well...bye."
Me:"bye."
Ira started walking away, and just when I was about to leave as well, he said something.
Ira:"oh, and Diamond..."
I turn around to face him again.
Me:"yeah?"
Ira:"...thanks..."
I smile.
Me:"...no problem...and, call me Rachel!"
I said, happily, running off.

Ira's POV
                                     As she ran off through the trees, I couldn't help but smile a bit.
Me:"...Rachel, huh?...heh, I'll keep that in mind."
I said, mostly to myself as I teleported away. I ended up on top of a tall building. I think it's called Clover Tower? Yeah, that's right. Anyway, I sat down at the edge of the roof, watching as the sun set. I heaved a sigh, thinking about what happened today.

'Great. Just when I thought I'd finally gotten over everything my father did, he shows up and ruins everything.'

I thought, gritting my teeth. Yes, what Rachel said and did was comforting, but now that I'm alone with my thoughts, I can't help but feel upset. Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I look over to see him. I glare and turn away from him.
Me:"what do you want, now?"
I asked in a cold tone. He sat down beside me and looked at me.
Dad:"look, Ira...I'm sorry, I really, really am..."
Me:"it doesn't matter, now...the damage is done..."
Dad:"...Ira...you don't understand, I tried to come back to you, but-
Me:"no! You don't understand!! Because of you, I had to hide all the time and steal for food!! Because of you, I feared everything around me!! Because of you, I was all alone!!!"
Dad:"..."
Me:"...you ruined..my life...I looked up to you, and talked about you, and I even tried to act like you!...but, after you cheated...after you left...I saw, not the man that I thought I knew, not the man that I thought loved his family...no, what I saw, was a drunken, heartbreaking lier, with a heart as black as tar...I hate you..."
Dad:"..."
Me:"...I hate you...so much...I HATE YOU!!!"
I couldn't take it anymore, I threw myself into his arms and cried into his chest. He hugged me in response. I repeatedly mumbled the words "I hate you" as I cried and he just kept hugging me. Eventually, after I said "I hate you" for the last time, he said:
Dad:"I know...and I'm so..so sorry...I know there's no making up for what I did, but you need to know this. I tried to come back home to you when I got to the city exit, but then some guards came and arrested me because they thought I murdered your mother instead of it being suicide. They only let me go two years later after they realized I was innocent."
I looked up at him when he said that.
Dad:"...the next 8 years after that, I looked for you, nonstop. Believe me, I wish I could turn back time and not cheat, to make your mother still be alive and to not leave you. But, even if I know that there's no erasing what I did, I also know that I'm willing to change so that we can start over...if you'll let me..."
He smiled at me gently and I pulled away from the hug.
Me:"...so, if I look at you heart right now...there's guaranteed truth in everything you just said?"
Dad:"...yes..."
Me:"..."
I took a deep breath and closed my eyes to see his heart. As promised, he was telling the truth. I opened my eyes and looked at him again.
Me:"...ok...I'll give you one last chance..."
He smiled.
Me:"but! If you mess this up, no more chances! I really WILL never speak to you again if you blow it this time!"
Dad:"got it! Last chance to prove myself."
Me:"...good..."
I said.
Me:"jeez...this has got to be the craziest Father's Day I've ever had. A lot more crying, yelling, and hugging than usual."
Dad:"yeah...but I think it was worth it."
Me:"why? You didn't get any gifts."
Dad:"actually, I did. I got you...and that's all I wanted."
Me:"...ok, save the cheese for later.....dad."
My dad smiled when I called him that. We just sat there on the roof, watching as the sun slowly disappeared into the night. And for the first time in years...I actually felt like I was safe...like...like my broken heart was finally mended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi! I hope you liked this one!! Also, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! Yeah, just thought I'd throw it out there. So,
Happy birthday to me! I have a genie!
We're both from Aladdin! And I set him free!