an essay for World History

Neth, Shay

Mr. Woodson

Honors World History 10

10-2-14 

                                                               The Gladiator Games

  Now the majority of people would explain that they're against the gladiator games. Don’t get me wrong I don't completely support them but there are some facts of the games that most people are in the dark about. As well the gladiator games were the main source of entertainment for the masses, and although it’s a gruesome sport it's something that all people participated in in one way or another be it cheering on their favorite warrior or selling food.

        Also, there are some things that people are ignorant about, like the fact that not all of the gladiators were slaves; some of the participants were desperate men, ex-warriors skilled in combat, even patricians and even the occasional senator eager to demonstrate his skill. Another little-known fact: gladiatorial fights usually weren't to the death. The fights were mostly stopped when one of the participants was wounded and despite common believe the games weren't a big free-for-all, it was usually a one-on-one battle between two equally matched opponents.

        Another commonly misunderstood point of the games is the animal hunts. Animals weren't as commonly slaughtered as people are lead to believe. There was usually only an animal hunt at the opening of the games, and only special classes such as the venatores and bestiarii fought them. Anything from deer to alligators were fought including bears, ostriches, elephants and, yes, lions. They also served as a form of condemnation for prisoners sentenced to death and Christians when they were still prosecuted.

        Women also fought in the gladiator games. Although they weren't taken as seriously as men they still were able to fight, and some even proved themselves enough to participate in the animal hunts at the beginnings of the games. Although there participation was short lived, ending at about 200 A.D. when the emperor of that time, Septimius Severus, banned it, that era of time is definitely notable.

        As mentioned previously many patricians willingly participated in the games, but even more astounding is the fact that some emperors fought such as Titus, Commodus and Caligula. These emperors fought in hopes of wooing the crowds. The emperor Commodus was known for slaying various animals with a spear from a raised platform.

        And finally the deal breaker: fame. Although gladiators are thought of today as uncivilized barbarians, they were actually rather famous among the masses. Murals were painted on public buildings, children played with action figures of them made of clay. The most popular gladiators sponsored products like professional athletes today, and with fame come fans. Gladiators of that age were treated like celebrities today. Women swooned at their feet and their fans cheered their names in the streets. Although a short one, that life was definitely glamourous.

        In conclusion to this essay I restate that I don’t completely support the gladiator games, the gruesome, cold-blooded murders and slaughter that people called entertainment, but just remember that without the invention of the gladiator games we probably wouldn't have the sports and games we have today. It is an essential part of our lives today despite its grim nature, and we've evolved it in our own ways. Without that portion of history, life wouldn't be the same.

references: http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-roman-gladiators