Chapter 30: Returning to Hogwarts

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the people or places that belong to the wonderful world of Harry Potter, as they belong to J.K. Rowling. The OC (Katherine) is entirely my own.

"So what was that about last night?" Katherine asked, as she leaned against the door frame that separated the kitchen and the sitting room. Severus was sitting in his usually chair, a cup of tea in one hand and the Prophet in the other.

"I don't know what your talking about," Severus lied, not even bothering to look up from the paper.

"You don't know," Katherine raised an eyebrow at him, and crossed her arms across her chest. "Well, lets backtrack shall we. You follow me to headquarters; Narcissa obviously interrogated you about something, because that's how she is; and then you take me in the library. So, I'll ask again...what is bothering you?"

"Nothing," Severus snarled from behind the paper. He didn't even notice Katherine cross the room, until the paper was ripped from his hands. Severus scowled at the witch, as she threw the paper to the other side of the room.

"Nothing," Katherine sneered. "Don't you dare tell me there's nothing wrong Sev. You were forceful last night, and you're only like that when something is weighing heavily on your mind. So out with it!"

"FINE!" Severus snapped. "I was concerned that you and Bellatrix would go at each other like the last time. Last thing I wanted was to see you return here barely alive."

"Sev, Bellatrix wouldn't try anything with the Dark Lord standing right there," Katherine said more calmly. "You know she wouldn't, especially after having to endure the Dark Lord's wrath the last time."

"Still," Severus said, leaning back in his chair. "I felt impatient, more so since I wasn't involved in the take over of the Ministry."

"You know why you were not involved," Katherine said, sitting down in the chair next to him. "The Dark Lord wants you well, since you will be the Headmaster of Hogwarts."

"Indeed, but..." Severus started, but was cut short as the floo blazed green. The emerald flame danced inside the fireplace, before emitting the body of Avery. The wizard stood, brushing himself off of sot from the fire.

"Snape. Dumbledore," he muttered, as he finished brushing himself off. "I've been sent here with news and information for the two of you."

"Avery," Severus said, as he crossed his arms across his chest, eyeing the other wizard. "By the look on your face, I would have to say it's bad news."

"A bit, anyway," Avery muttered again, as he sat down on the sofa.

"Could I get you some tea?" Katherine asked, half rising from her chair.

"Wouldn't mind some," Avery sighed. The two wizards watched as Katherine walked the short distance to the kitchen, and disappear within to fetch the tea.

"It must not be too bad of news since Katherine tells me that the takeover of the Ministry went smoothly," Severus began, as Katherine came back into the room, levitating three fresh cups of tea in front of her.

"Well, it is and it isn't," Avery started, as he plucked a teacup from the air. "The Ministry takeover did go smoothly enough, and the Dark Lord wants Yaxley to continue the Imperius Curse on Thicknesse, and make Pius the Minister of Magic.

"After you left Katherine, Shacklebolt found Scrimgeour dead body and sent word to the Burrow straight away. When the group arrived at the Weasley home, the boy and his friends had already fled.

"Dolohov and Rowle tracked them, but when they returned to headquarters this morning, they claimed they never found them."

"Obviated," Severus said as he took a sip from his fresh teacup.