Home Stretch

The inside of the "lobby" was red, black and dim. The floor was covered with blood and dead bodies. I long shiver ran from the crown of my down to the back of my heels. Then across the room I spotted a wooden box that contained my bag. I ran over all the dead bodies, occasionally stepping on hands or faces. The wooden box was five meters away from me when I heard a loud shout from behind. I swerved my body and looked at Clau.

"Hey Maya." He's trying to be friendly. I gauged my distance from me to the box. I could run or I could shoot. I have four bullets and my aim isn't very good. I took my chances. Lifting up my gun Clau pulled out his own. "You make this hard and you will regret it." He shouted. A black shadow appeared behind him and I knew.

"Run."

At the drop of a hat, I ran as fast as my legs could take me. The burning making me slow down. I reached the box and pried open the lid. Inside laid the egg. The same blue egg that sparkled in the Las Vegas sun. I grabbed it but knew it was over. Two loud bangs went off at the same time. The sudden noise carried through my ears . Then silence. Two collapsed figures on the floor. I ran to Shawn. My eyes began to sting. I let my tears fall, not fighting them back.

"Get out of here Maya! Go!" he said with his last breath. I didn't want to let him go. He helped me rescue the egg, but i needed to leave. His body went limp in my arms and i knew my world just crashed down.

"Sorry, brother." My words coming out aspirated.

I ran outside, the blinding light and heat hitting me. Running to the main road, I felt the egg in my pocket. Heavy but not to heavy. I looked down the freeway and saw a tiny bus stop far away from me. I ran. "No holding back now." As the birds made piercing sound above of me. I saw the station coming closer in my sight. Waiting there was a old lady. I sat down, wondering if she noticed me.

"Do you believe in the recent news about an egg?" She asked. Her voice crooked as she spoke. The transparency of her skin was paper like. Purple veins showed through.

"Um me uh y-yes and no." Tones of uncertainty were present in my voice.

"I know who you are," she said quietly, "no need to hide." She looked up and I gasped. No it can't be. A blessing in disguise.