Prologue

I remember it so vividly. The memory still fresh in my head like it happened yesterday. When it all started. The spring breeze weaving through our hair. The sky was dark and gloomy, causing the shadows to cast higher than customary. Just then, as I looked around us, the uniformity of the forest floor was ruined by a distant object.

"Shawn." I asked. He hummed back in response like I was pulling him out of a train of thought.

"What's wrong?" He looked at me with a crease between his eyebrows. I pointed to the distant object. His eyes squinted to see through the branches and darkness.

"What is that?" He asked with a puzzled expression. I grabbed his arm and yanked him with me. We ran off the trail deeper into the woods. The paved floor all so familiar quickly turned into leaves that rustled with our every step. "I don't think this is a good idea, Maya." I looked back and saw his worried face.

"It's fine. Mom and dad don't need to know, right? Plus if you die I will take blame, okay? Now chill and have some fun in your life." I snapped at him. He was always the golden child. Never got in trouble. I, on the other hand, was always the black sheep of the family. Causing us to veer off the road of a picture perfect life. We reached the mysterious object in the sea of green and brown. It was nestled in leaves and twigs, making it look like a regular bird's egg. Although the size is the same size as your daily chicken egg that's probably sitting in your fridge at this very moment, the colour of it was way off. It was a variety of shades that represented the ocean, but the gold specks made it sparkle even in this overcast weather. I reached my hand out to get a hold of this new finding. Just centimetres away from touching it, my brother grabbed my hand and pulled away from the globe.

"Maya! Are you crazy!"Hhe practically screamed at me, "You can't go around touching random things you see. You're like a little kid at the candy store but worse!" His face turning red from the adrenaline. I laughed at his reaction.

"You are my brother and you still don't know that I'm crazy. Where have you been for the past 20 years? Living under a rock?!" I pulled my hand out of his tight grip and proceeded with my past intentions. Then it happened and I couldn't help myself but drag my fingertips gently along the surface of the sphere. The surface was smooth and the coldness seeped into my skin. Every time I touch it, a pulse of electricity runs from my fingertips to my heart. Giving a burst of energy I've lost from hiking. "I'm taking this home." I said while scooping it up into my arms.

"Sis, you've got to be out of your mind." He exclaimed with mixed emotions.

"No exceptions. You can stay out of my business if you don't like it." I said. I wanted to see what this was. Protect it.

"Fine. If you want to get into trouble then it's my pleasure, but you better not come running after me for help if mom and dad get angry." He flashed a smirk to me with anger in his eyes. He trudged away with a bounce in his step. I looked over my shoulder as I put the circular object into my pocket. As Shawn's silhouette got smaller and smaller and the sky became darker and darker, I knew it was our time to go home.