"I heard there was a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent having a birthday party, so I thought I'd drop by," Logan said in a low voice. I heard my dad stifle a chuckle. He’d definitely recognized it was his QB dressed up as the first Avenger.

"With a cake? Does Captain America play football?"

Logan − I mean Captain America − scowled. Or so it seemed − the mask made it hard to tell. "Of course he does. How do you think I got so good at throwing my shield? I practiced with football!"

At this point my dad burst out laughing and I just stood there, amused at how easily Logan managed to connect the two things that, my brother insisted, could not me mingled. What Logan said didn't really make sense, technically speaking, but none of us cared. Not even my dad, I think.

"Now hurry up and make a wish!" Logan prompted because the candles were getting shorter and shorter. Brian shot a quick glance at me and I gave him a thumbs-up. He turned towards the cake and blew off all the candles in one go.

➳♥   

An hour later, Logan was still playing Sheriffs and Bandits with the kids (he was, of course, one of the sheriffs). My dad went back to the school, because he still had some game tapes that he wanted to watch in silence, so apart from us and a bunch of kids there was only my mom and three of her other kids’ moms left.

I was responsible for drinks and snacks - making sure there was always enough soda for everybody. But my job was so undemanding that I spent most of the time watching Logan play with kids. By that time he’d taken off the mask (and his hair was indeed ruined), but he was still in full suit, playing his role and shouting "Sheriffs assemble!". I was more than surprised to discover that he was great with kids. He seemed to be having fun and he didn't treat them like they were toddlers (which is what some adults do when they don't know shit about children).

"You're pretty good at this," I noticed when Logan came over to get a drink and catch a breath. He glanced at me to see if I was mocking him, which I wasn't. I genuinely thought it took some guts for a teenage boy to entertain a bunch of kids. Getting children to like you was, in my opinion, more challenging than doing kick ups with a soccer ball for a straight minute.

"I guess I had a lot of practice. I liked dressing up when I was a kid."

I arched my eyebrow at him, the corners of my lips trembling. "Really."

Logan blushed. "I mean, as cosplay. I always had a different costume for Halloween," he explained as his cheeks grew more and more crimson. It was very interesting to watch embarrassed Logan Perry.

"Listen Logan," I said, all serious. "I am extremely grateful you're doing this, but I know you have a game tomorrow, so if you need to go, I'm not stopping you."

Logan just waved his hand. "I've already learned the whole playbook by heart. If I have to look at it again I might throw up. I need to unwind anyway, so I might as well do this." He motioned towards Brian and his friends chasing each other.

"Oh, okay then."

He smiled at me briefly, before going back to reclaim his sheriff position.

➳♥

The party ended before nine. Mom took Brian and with the help of other mothers drove the guests back to their homes, leaving the house, and all the mess, to me. And Logan.

 I sent him upstairs to change, while I cleaned up all the plates and food leftovers. When he came downstairs, in his normal clothes, he helped me load the dishwasher and I felt more and more suspicious of his sudden helpfulness. I started to wonder about what Lena had said to me before. Was Logan trying to get on my good side to, you know, get some action? I shuddered at the thought. That would be very devious of him. But then, I didn't think I was worth all the trouble, and Logan definitely didn't think so either. How did he put it? Oh yeah, ‘You clothes aren't very feminine’. Asshole.