Chapter Four

Author's Note: I'm so so sorry. I should have updated AGES ago, but I started my Univeristy last month AND I had problems with my Internet connection (I'm talking no Internet for a week!) but the fourth chapter is finally here and I hope you can forgive me.

Also, it's dedicated to SilentDreamland because she couldn't wait to find out who will be Mel's buddy. And her writing is perfection. Seriously, check out 'Can't Buy Me Love' or anything else written by her because you won't be disappointed.

Chapter Four

I slowly looked around the auditorium, searching for girls with, I don't know, 'Team Ryan' t-shirts or something like that. The auction would start soon and every girl was competition now.

"Here is your number and the schedule," the girl at the registration desk told me. "All the details on how to auction are inside the flyer. Good luck!"

I grabbed the items and looked at the auction paddle. It was numbered 128. Unfortunately, none of these digits meant anything to me. It was not my lucky number, not my birthday, not even the end of my phone number.

Whatever, I thought, who needs luck when you have determination?

➳♥

I found Hugo sitting in the third row, saving a seat for me.  When I took my place, he turned towards me and said, "Look, Mel, I know I haven't been supportive of this whole thing, and I still think it's total madness, but for what it's worth - good luck with the auction. If you need to borrow money, I'll help you. Although, it would be going against everything I believe in.

I smiled gratefully. Hugo made no attempt to talk to me about it since I'd laid down the plan. He just got reticent, and I feared he'd completely shut me out after the auction. Now that I knew I had his blessing, I felt much better. "Thanks, Hugo, but I don't think it will be necessary. I mean, I hope so. The money spending is my least favorite part out of this whole ordeal. I'd never want to run into debt over it. I appreciate the support, though."

"Listen, I also want to tell you…"

"Shhh," I silenced him because my sister came up on the stage, together with her sidekick Chris Corner, and everybody in the auditorium started to take their seats. They played some tacky intro music and then Lena smiled brilliantly.

"I want to welcome everybody to the Senior Buddy Auction!" she cried out and waited for the applause to subdue. "As you probably know, this is a unique opportunity for our school's students to make new friends. Before every single auction, we will shortly introduce each senior. I know most of you already have you hearts set on a particular person, but please don't get disheartened if you don't win that auction. There are plenty of us, friendly seniors, to share."

There was a burst of laughter among the audience. Chris proceeded to talk about the rules of the auction, and all those gory details, which I already knew everything about, because during the last couple of weeks, I became my sister's errand girl. I think sometimes she forgot that I was in it because of the detention.

"If you look into your programs, you'll find the order in which buddies will be auctioned," Chris announced and I grabbed the flyer that's been lying idly on my lap. I scanned the rows of names and found Ryan to be number 15, right after his brother Logan. Yes, Ryan does have a twin brother, although they're not the you-cannot-tell-them-apart kind of twins, who wear the same clothes and have the same hair cut. In fact, they are completely different, personality wise.

"We wish you all good luck. And don't forget to have fun," Lena wrapped it up, and some dance pop music started to pump out the speakers. Then, Amanda, who was tonight's host, walked up on the stage. I noticed that Chris stood behind a rostrum and pulled a gavel from somewhere underneath. It all looked way too professional. I waited for FBI to burst through the door and close this whole thing down, but to no avail.