It All Makes Sense

My towns Christmas parade is tonight and I might be in it yay and it's also my dads birthday. Happy Birthday Dad! Enjoy this next part and thank you so so so much for over 100 reads! It means so much to me! 

To her every moment spent in silence made her feel alone. 

"The desert was the best. How'd you like it?" Jenny asked Alec. Alec looked up at her but she didn't meet his eye. He opened his mouth a few times forming words that wouldn't come out.

"Ah...it was good, yeah." He finally answered. He then looked back down at the road. Jenny then turned to look at Alec. She wondered if he and his wife had been happy together. She wondered if she had been planning to do what she did or if she just got an offer and took it? She had so many questions that she wanted to ask Alec but she knew it would upset him. After having witnessed him break down earlier today she didn't want to do that again to him.

Soon they reached the Traders and this was where Jenny was to say goodbye to Alec for the night. He was heading back out to the station for one last check of everything.

Both of them stood there in silence once again. Things were so awkward between them now and Jenny couldn't figure out why.

"Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow." Jenny told Alec.

"Yeah, in the morning." Alec replied. All of a sudden, Jenny did something she knew Alec would think was the weirdest thing ever. She leaned up and kissed him on the cheek. Just a thank you and a pick-me-up. She pulled away quickly and smiled up at him.

"I'm really sorry that your family fell apart." Jenny told him. Alec stared down at Jenny in shock. Not from the peck on the cheek but at the words she spoke. He hadn't been thinking that that was what she would say now. He lowered his head and looked at his feet. Jenny was becoming just like a daughter to him now, sort of distant but close at the same time.

"Yeah." He finally replied. Jenny then put her hand on his shoulder. Alec looked at her.

"Night." She said to him. She then walked away from him and into her room. Alec looked at her as she walked away.

"Night." He mumbled to himself. He then turned and made his way to the station.

Alec now sat at his office desk. He was just about to look at his emails for the day before he left. His computer was turned off so he sat there for a few moments while his computer turned on. In this extra time he sat there and thought.

How was his daughter? That was one question he asked himself every day. Was she alright? Did she ever think of him? If she did, did she think he was horrible? Or had she forgiven him but just forgotten to call? All these questions nagged at him day after day never to be resolved until the day he saw her again, which could be years.

Finally, when his computer had loaded, the screen lit up with a flash. 'New message.' It flashed. Alec looked at it and then decided to click it. It opened onto a white screen with small black writing. Alec couldn't read it so he reached into his pocket and took out his glasses. He put them on and read the screen.

"No..." He said to himself in amazement. He stared at the screen in shock.

"Now it all makes sense!" He yelled.

The next morning Jenny woke up and ran into the pub. She was starving and that was where Becca had told her to meet her for breakfast. People were being strangely nice but Jenny didn't want to take the time to figure it out. She was in such a great mood.

"Hey." Becca said to Jenny as she bounded into the room. Jenny jumped into the seat at the far table and smiled at Becca.

"Hey! How are you?" Jenny asked her. Becca gave Jenny an awkward smile.

"Well you're really happy today! What's so great about today?" Becca responded as she put a cup on Jenny's table.

"No reason, I just feel great." Jenny replied. She then sat up and took the cup and poured water into it from the pitcher on the table. She then took a sip and sighed.

"Well, Alec said he hopes you have a good day today, he won't be around. He also mentioned something about an email as he left but I couldn't make it out." Becca told Jenny. Jenny thought for a moment. Email? What was so important about an email?

"Ok, thanks." Jenny thanked Becca. Becca then placed Jenny's breakfast on the table and she dove in. It was delicious.

When she had finished she sat back in her chair and sighed.

"I have eaten the most food I have in my entire life in the last two days." Jenny said as she laughed a bit. Becca looked at Jenny and laughed too.

"Don't you get fed? A girl like you has to eat." She asked Jenny as she picked up her dishes.

"Yes, it's just never this good." Jenny said as she smiled to Becca. Jenny turned her head when the door opened behind her. Chloe walked in.