I Should Have You Charged

Yay 43 reads! I really hope you are all enjoying the story, it makes me really emotional when I read it myself so I hope it does the same to you all  >:) i am moffat .... enjoy 

Alec gently backed away from Jenny but still held on to her arms.

"Come on. Let's go to the pub ok?" He asked her. Jenny nodded and wiped her tears. Alec took Jenny's hand and they both made their way back to the Traders pub.

They both took seats in the Traders pub. The room was quiet and peaceful but the presence of each other broke that feeling.

Jenny was staring down at the table thinking about her loss. Such a big part of her life had just upped and left.

Alec was fiddling with his fingers while sitting across from Jenny. He didn't know how to approach Jenny about this. He didn't even know who this friend was.

"So, um, are you ok?" Alec asked awkwardly. Jenny slightly raised her head to look at him. Her eyes where stained red after all her time crying. She shook her head.

"Who was he?" Alec continued. He wasn't any good at these things, in fact he was rubbish.

"A friend." Jenny said. "A very good friend."

Alec continued to think.

"Why'd he leave?" He asked her. He settled his hands on the table between them waiting for an answer.

"He said he didn't want to wait for me. He wanted to go by himself." Jenny said. The end of her sentence sort of faded. Tears stung her eyes but she held them in.

"So you were going to leave?" Alec asked. He had no idea she was planning to leave. He thought this was her home.

"I don't know." She answered. She raised her hands and covered her face. She didn't want to tell him. She was ashamed.

"How can you not know if you were going to leave?" Alec asked her very sternly. Jenny could just make out the softness in his voice.

She looked at him for a second and then took a deep breath.

"I travel, it's what I do. I travel with him." She started. She leaned forward in her chair a bit. Alec did the opposite, he leaned back to listen.

"I...I don't live here. I never have. I don't have a hut and I don't work here." She said all this very fast. She just wanted to get it out. It pained her to lie to Alec and she thought this would help. The thing was it wasn't.

Alec opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. All this and he thought he knew her.

"I'm sorry, I really am! I didn't know what to say! John just wanted me to have a look around but then I found that phone and I saw you so I-"

"You lied to me." Alec finally found words. Now he felt stupid. A twelve year old girl had fooled him.

Jenny sat back in her chair.

"You think I wanted to?" She asked him clearly shocked.

"No but you did anyway." He raised his voice.

"I should have you charged for obstructing a murder case." He continued. Jenny now appeared scared. She slightly moved back her chair preparing herself to run.

Alec took in what he had just said to Jenny. He didn't mean what he said honestly, it just came out.

"Jenny, I didn't mean that." He said quickly. He sat up in his chair and raised a hand to her.

"I would never charge you, you know that." He continued. Jenny relaxed a bit. She didn't understand Alec anymore. What his words meant now she didn't know.

"I'm sorry." He spit out the words like they hurt but he meant it. He really did. He felt responsible for Jenny and he had to protect her but the first thing was to gain her trust. Right now he was failing pitifully.

"It's alright." She replied. Alec smiled a bit.

"Good." He said. He was becoming soft. Apologising was something he never did but it made her feel better and he meant it.

"What are you gonna do now?" He asked her.

"I was gonna stay here." She said as if it was obvious.

"Is that alright?" She asked Alec. Alec smiled again; this was the most he had ever smiled in one day.

"Yeah, I was hoping you would."

That night they stood outside the doors to both of their rooms. It was getting colder and Jenny wanted to hurry inside.

"Good night." Alec said to Jenny. She was holding her arms with her hands to try to warm herself up. She nodded slightly.

"Night." She replied. She turned to her door and watched out of the corner of her eye; Alec walk in to his. She pushed open the door and felt a rush of warmth as she entered. She walked over to her bed that was all made up and noticed a paper. She picked it up carefully and read it. 'I'm sorry, so, so sorry.' It read. Jenny could feel anger boiling inside herself now.

She crumbled the paper in his hands and threw it on the floor. She run to the door and pulled it open. She stopped as she got outside. What was she doing? She couldn't go anywhere because there wasn't anywhere to go. But she came to a decision.

She walked next door and gently tapped on the door. She patiently waited while she looked around making sure no one noticed her. Alec opened the door.