October on Rue Saint-Antoine

There was a protracted silence between them after Valjean's warning. The inn was unusually quiet and Valjean and Dantes realized that the other patrons were intentionally directing their attention their way. Neither were comfortable with the observation, and each drew back into themselves.

"We have made too much of ourselves here, and I fear we have put our stories on display," Valjean said in almost a whisper.

"You will not be able to stay here any longer, I suspect," Edmond commented.

Valjean nodded without surprise. "C'est notre vie."

Edmond closed his eyes, reflecting on the man in front of him and the life he led. A chasm gaped just behind both him and the girl he protected; a stygian abyss ready to swallow them both. "Do you have a place to go?"

"No," Valjean stated, deep in thought. Already he was making plans in his head for where he could abscond.

"I was here to purchase a house for my . . . future endeavors. There is one on Rue Plumet that I was going to purchase. You will know which one it was if you ask for the home Lord Wilmore was interested in. Look into that," Edmond advised. "And I suggest you purchase others as well. Do you understand?"

Valjean smiled. "Thank you for your advice, Abbe."

Edmond wiped his mouth with his cassock and stood up. "Thank you for your warning. And I hope for a new life for your angel. Though I have no hope for your escape from justice." He spoke those words, not as a cold judge, but from a compassionate soul.

Valjean thought of the crucifix that watched over the sleeping Monseigneur Bienvenu, the night Valjean had stolen from him. "As you said, only in death can justice be appeased," Valjean replied. He stood to formally offer his adieu and bowed his head to the holy man.

Dantes bowed his head to him as well. "We are very different, Monsieur LeBlanc."

"And very similar, Abbe Busoni," Valjean replied.

Edmond offered a warm smile to the old man. "Perhaps."

Madame Canard rushed up to Dantes in a panic. "Father, you are leaving? I had almost forgotten." She gave him a small paper note, folded multiple times- too many times. "The address of Danglars business. Forgive me my hatred for him. I know that was not Christian of me."

Edmond took the note and then softly took the woman's pale hands. "Forgiveness. . ." He was speechless for a moment. "That is God's work. Go in peace."

The innkeeper brightened at the comment, her light pink lips raising slightly at the edges. "Thank you, Father."

Edmond released her hands and turned to go to the door, the only bastion to the cold October night. He braced himself as he placed his hand on the latch. It was going to be a cold and uncaring future on the other side of that door. Was he prepared to fight the death and bitter cold that Paris had in store? The winter would be long this year, and for many years into the future; until Dantes finds his own rest, perhaps in the long cold sleep of another October on Rue Saint-Antoine. The same October that threatens to overcome all of us.

Edmond opened the latch.

C'est Fini

A/N:  Thanks for reading.  I hope you enjoyed it.  From here our protagonists/antagonists move on.  For the rest of the story, Valjean's continues in the third act of Les Miserables, and Dantes' continues in the second act of The Count of Monte Cristo.  

If you liked the story, be sure to look for my next upload:  A Star Wars Fanfiction, Episode VIII, Rise of the Dark Jedi.  It is quite a different book with quite a different feel, but still a lot of fun. 

Thanks again, and perhaps we'll meet again on another cold October night on Rue Saint-Antoine.