Foreword

This is a crossover between Les Miserable and The Count of Monte Cristo. As a very natural crossover, I am surprised that no one has done this since their stories are so similar and take place at the same time and in the same locales. It would have been very probable if these characters had really existed, that for the span from March 1829 when Edmond Dantes escaped from Chateaux D'if and found the treasure of Monte Cristo, to the Summer of 1833 when Jean Valjean died, that Dantes and Valjean could have met. It is true that Edmond Dantes did not return to Paris as the Count of Monte Cristo until 1838, but he had made elaborate plans under many aliases throughout the nine years post-prison, and certainly, he would have visited Paris prior to his coming as the Count.

A word about the movies and books. This story is based on the unabridged versions of both Les Miserables and The Count of Monte Cristo, and for those that are only familiar with the movies or plays, there may be a few differences.

For The Count of Monte Cristo, the most notable differences between the 2002 movie and the novel are the following:

1. In the novel, Mercedes' son, Albert, is NOT the son of Edmond Dantes, but the true son of Fernand Mondego. Fernand Mondego was not even the main villain of the story either, and his final demise is at his own hand.

2. In the novel and in the movie, Edmond is continually warned that his revenge will go too far. In the 2002 movie, he completely accomplishes his revenge and suffers no consequences. He gets the woman, the son, the wealth, and his revenge. In the novel, his revenge goes too far and as a consequence Edouard, the young child of Villefort dies. Edmond has his first signs of regret for his vengeance when he sees the innocent life taken for the benefit of his own motives.

3. In the novel Edmond does NOT end up with Mercedes; in fact, it seems that he had never any intention to return to Mercedes, but still provided for her so she would not be destitute.

For Les Miserables, the most important difference for the purpose of this short story is the reason for Jean Valjean's second imprisonment. The first prison sentence was for stealing bread of which he served nineteen years in prison and was released, having paid his debt to society. The second time was for stealing a coin from a child AFTER Monseigneur Bienvenu had forgiven him for stealing. It was for the theft of that coin that Javert was pursuing him and is then sent to prison again. Then, by his own strength, he escapes prison to be on the run while trying to protect Cosette.

Having set the stage, I hope you enjoy. And as always, please follow, star and comment. Thanks.  

Let me know what your thoughts are.  

Which version of Les Miserables and The Count of Monte Cristo are your favorite?

What do you think these two will talk about if they accidentally met?