Chapter 48: Gory, Gory

Start from the beginning

The nurses try their best to give us updates on what's going on, and although I always ask to hear the news, I always regret it afterward. Every time some 'unnamed' soldier is reported to have been killed I always worry it's you. I hope you're not dead. I hope you're reading this. I hope you're okay. I hope everyone is okay.

I had to practically fight Bill to be the one to write the first letter to you, but I just couldn't wait another few weeks to be able to put down in writing that I miss you. God, I miss you like crazy every single day. A part of me hopes you miss me too, but another part knows you're doing just fine without me. You're too strong to miss me as much as I miss you. 

Bill misses you too, of course, but not like I do. Bill also wanted me to tell you to look after Babe for him. He's worried about that skinny little redhead. Just make sure he doesn't get his finger caught in the tripod again and all should be well. 

Even though I still have a million things I wish I could say to you, writing them down in my messy handwriting won't do them any justice, so I'll just have to tell you them when you come to get your dog tags back after the war. I still have them. I wear them around my neck every day. Won't even let the nurses take them off when I'm forced to be sponge-bathed like some old, pathetic man. 

Bill will probably be writing the next letter to you, so be prepared to receive some long, jumbled mess of words in the coming weeks. He's got a lot to say and he's already said it all to me and every single nurse in this place so you're next up on the chopping block.

Do me a favour; if you're still alive, stay that way for me, please. 

Give those Kraut Bastards hell!

- Joe Toye & Bill Guarnere

By the time she reached the end and read the names that confirmed who the letter was from, Margot's face was soaked with tears. The paper in her hands had wet spots and she was forced to push it aside to save the ink from bleeding. She wanted to keep that letter with her so she could reread it over and over again, so she had to make sure it was still legible. 

In the dark, mostly empty room she was sitting in, Margot broke down into sobs. She had heard Joe's voice in her head while she had read the letter and for a split second near the end, it had felt like he had been right there beside her. Margot had thought she had sorted out her feelings about Joe and Bill, but apparently, she hadn't. Just reading their names brought every single emotion known to man back to her and then some. 

Wiping her eyes haphazardly, Margot scanned the letter again. She picked up on the tone of the words in front of her, almost as if Joe half expected that the letter would never be read at all—almost as if Joe half expected that she was dead. 

Over and over again Margot read the letter until she knew the whole thing by heart. Once she did, she folded the paper up gently, tucked it into her pocket, located an old couch to sack out on for the night, and closed her eyes. The words of the letter played on repeat in her head until she fell asleep.

●●● 

The next morning, the news that three-hundred thousand Krauts had surrendered was spreading through the platoons like wildfire. Within half an hour of the initial announcement, every American soldier knew about the surrender, and by God, every single American soldier was thrilled.

Following the uplifting news, Easy Company was told it would be heading out. Unsurprised by the order to pack up, Margot had her things together and loaded onto the nearest truck within minutes. By then, every man and woman was used to gathering up everything they owned and being ready to move out within five minutes or less.