Chapter 2: The Bottomless Pit

I was polishing some of the souvenirs in the gift shop with an old cloth.

'Does Grunkle Stan have anything that's not old and worn out?'

"Alright!" Speaking of Stan. "I need two people to go hammer up these signs in the forest." He said walking into the gift shop, holding a few signs and a box of nails.

"Not it!"

"Not it!"

"Uh, also not it."

"Nobody asked you, Soos," Stan told him with an unamused.

"I know, and I'm comfortable with that." Soos then took a bite from his chocolate bar and went back to where he was working before.

"Wendy, I need to pick a twin to come with you to hammer up these signs."

Wendy groaned before putting the magazine she was reading down and walking around the counter.

"She can't choose me if I'm not here!" Mabel stated before ditching me.

'Well, isn't that just great!'

"Come on, dude." Wendy hit my lucky hat, making the visor go in front of my eyes. I straightened my hat before following after her. "How 'bout we split the load," she said handing me half of the supplies. "You take the right side, I'll take left, then we meet back here."

"Sounds simple enough," I reply with a nod.

We go our separate ways and began to hammer signs into the trees. I was now on my last one and I was making my way over a tree when-

"WOAH!"

The ground below me disappeared suddenly and I felt myself falling. My hands clenched onto the ground that was rising. I was now dangling over what looked like a black void. I closed my eyes, not wanting to think this was going to be how I die. My heart pounded and I held the ground harder but I lost my grip. Luckily I caught a hold on a branch that was sticking out of the side. Suddenly, I felt my arm being picked up. I opened my eyes to see Wendy there.

"Wendy?"

"Dude, how did you fall in?" She asked, putting me down on the grass. I never felt so grateful to be on the ground.

"I wasn't paying attention I guess," I answered as I was tapping my two index fingers. I then turn my attention back to the hole. "It does a bottom, right?" I asked looking at Wendy.

"I don't know, man. Stan told it was like some sort of bottomless pit."

'A bottomless pit, huh.'

"I've heard rumors that if you fell in there and looked up, you'd see a sky full of stars in the middle day."

"How is that possible?"

"I don't know, man." Wendy looked at behind her then back at me. "We should probably head back to shack. My shift is almost over."

I nodded then we started to head back but I couldn't help but notice the goat standing by the pit with purple irises. It looked like it was smiling at me.

"Hey, you didn't hold on to the branch that was sticking out of the hole, did you?" Wendy asked out of no where.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because that was poison oak," she answered bluntly and lazily opened the door.