Chapter 8 - The King is Dead

Chris took a phone call that brought him to his knees. Duane Pride was dead. There was no man that Chris LaSalle loved more. He loved and respected King more than his own father.

Homeland had somehow insinuated themselves into the situation. This in formation greeted each former team member as they arrived.

The LaSalle's took a long time deciding if Sonja would make the trip.   Now into her seventh month, they thought of her enduring the New Orleans' summer heat. Christ was left with the decision of leaving his wife alone or watching her struggle with her ever limiting physical agility and her irritation at being pregnant and having no control over her ever growing belly and her cravings.  She decided that she would go since Chris had long decided not to argue with her in situations like this

The worse for sure was the bathroom situation on the airplane. Chris had paid extra for first class tickets for a flight that flew directly into 'Nola.

While it was good to see old team members, it was so sad to be around Laurel and Miss Loretta. It seemed like Loretta had known Pride for a life time. He had been one her strongest supporters when she was hired Coroner of Jefferson Parish.

They decided to have the service at the Joy Theater. King had requested no flowers but for individuals to donate to the USO or their favored Veteran's Service Organization. He had also decided to have his coffin flagged draped. The Louisiana Department of Veteran's Affairs assigned a multi service detail to participate in the service and burial at the Southeast Louisiana Veterans Cemetery. The senior chaplain from Belle Chaise gave the eulogy. The service was full of tributes and remembrances.

This was one the few times since they were married that Sonja had seen her husband cry.  She had personally seen how Pride's presence and guidance had molded him into the man, father and supervisor that sat by her that day. She often remembered the several times that Pride had saved her own life.

Christopher LaSalle's tears continued that night between talking and laughin  "What is it honey" Sonja asked as the tears began to flow again.

"You do know that we would have never gotten together if it hadn't been for King don't you?

"Yes Country Mouse, I know. In spite of your reservations he gave me a chance even through two major screw ups,

The next day old team members had lunch at Pride's bar. His brother Jimmy had long take over the operation. Pride sold him his stake of the bar two years b before his death. We would later learn that Pride's will unrepentantly returned the cash back to Jimmy.

King left Christopher his weapons and guns to add to the collection that he himself had garnered. They arrived a few months after the funeral and the reading of the will. Laurel let them all get on Pride's computer to capture photos that they might want. Sonja found several that she had never seen before and knew exactly where she wanted to hang them. There was a special one of Chris and Pride that she enlarged and gave it to him to hang on his wall in his office.

The flight home was uneventful save Sonja having to make her way to the potty every thirty minutes. It was after the flight that things got exciting. Sonja got gas so bad while waiting for Chris to recover his weapon that they had to go to the hospital.

Chris was astounded as she told the doctor all the food that she had eaten while in 'Nola.  Suddenly dishes that would never have passed her lips 'called her name'. She was terribly distressed that she had gained four pounds in less than a week.