Chapter 4 -- Laid Bare

Here I am on this plane and can hardly sit still. I didn't need to be in a plane rising from the ground to have butterflies. I have no idea what I am going to say to her when I see her again face to face.

Chris remembered that the first visit had gone well. He was optimistic on how the second one would go. He could sense that her latest endeavor did not go well so he was anxious to see her again and perhaps be able to comfort her.

This time Chris took a four day weekend. He was surprised at how open she was. He knew, however, that something was wrong. "I can't discuss it with you" Percy said as she got up to get him another beer. He was surprise when she just plopped herself down in his lap without say a word. He realized the longer she sat there the tighter her grip around him grew.

"So Chris are you still mad at me?"

"Sonja I was never mad at you, just surprised. I know we decided not to peruse a relationship but I thought we were close enough for you to confide in me. I miss you Sonja. It didn't take me long either to realize that I had made a big mistake in not seeing that there could be something between us. I really want revisit that."

"Okay. I don't know what you have done these past months but I found that I needed someone to talk to. A professional. I carried a lot of pain and sorrow in my life that I just ignored. I had to address those things in addition to my realizing that I should not have run away from New Orleans and from you. She talked a lot as they sat and drank their wine. He realized that while he was still on Central Standard Time, that Sonja was starting to wilt since it was well past midnight in D.C."

Saturday morning they got up and went to work out at the Police gym. It was like old times as they made their rounds on the weight machines. He had forgotten how impressive she was with the weights. They both grabbed showers when they got back to the condo and then took off for a nearby restaurant that served Iowa choice beef. One of Sonja's co-workers declared that the meat melted in your mouth and he was right.

Saturday night they went to the theatre. Hamilton was on tour and he was delighted to see it since he missed it when it was in New Orleans. Sunday morning he cooked them breakfast. Sonja ate the mushrooms even though they were cooked in bacon grease. They turned on the TV to watch a basketball game but somehow got involved in a hot make out session and missed most of it. That night they found a couple of old movies and fell asleep on the sofa.

He woke up early Monday morning with her in his arms and him with a nocturnal erection. He eased himself out from underneath her and hit the shower hoping to rectify the situation. He saw Sonja in the kitchen when he came out of the guest bedroom. She had made waffles. He was glad that she had cooked his first because her version of the batter did not smell quite as good.

In spite of her being on leave Sonja Percy could not ignore her telephone. To her dismay, she immediately recognized the number on her caller ID. I'm sorry LaSalle; I have to take this call.

She returned to the room shortly and informed him that she would have to go into the office in for an overseas call. She put on a weak smile that broadens as Chris flashed his own special one. "At least they can't get to me" he said.

He gave her goodbye hug and watched as she retrieved her weapon and gathered her brief case.

As soon as she was out the door, he went to find his own phone. He queried the internet for the directory for the Washington D.C. NCIS Office. He quickly dialed the main number. Can I speak to Agent 'Jacqueline Sloane he inquired?

"Hello Agent Sloane. My name is Chris LaSalle. I am assigned to the NCIS Office in New Orleans."

"Good morning Agent LaSalle" she responded. "I recognized your name. How can I help you?"