The Birthday Party

Start from the beginning

Tara and Niko eyed her warily, but I shooed them away. Despite knowing she'd tried to help me, they couldn't help but to still think of her as the weird girl.

"You look beautiful," I said.

"As do you." She tilted her head to the side as she looked me over. "Like a queen."

"Maybe in another life."

"I'm sorry we weren't able to rescue you, and I'm sorry about my Aunt Molly. Mother had always told me we owed your family a great debt, but she didn't tell me what it was until a few days ago."

"Leslie, you tried. That's more than most people here."

"Still... I want to give you something." She grabbed my arm and walked me over to one of the curtained alcoves. Something smooth and warm was pressed into my hand. "That day in the store, one of the potions called to you."

A tiny vial rested on my palm. Its contents glowed in the dusk. I ran my finger along the glass, and it followed my touch.

"What does it do?"

"I can't say for sure. It's an old potion. One Mother brewed many years ago after waking from a dream. She said it would come alive for the person who needed it. You'll know when to use it."

"Well, that's cryptic."

She laughed. It was a strange sound coming from her, and there was a harsh quality to it. But it wasn't unpleasant.

"Magic usually is."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." She turned to leave and then stopped. "Whatever you're planning tonight, I'm in. Just let me know if you need help."

She walked away without waiting for a response. Would she help me? With my plan, not the one my friends had come up with? I might need help, and something told me Leslie would honor my decision. The potion went into my dress, its heat offering a strange sense of comfort.

The party was in full swing now. The last bits of pink were gone from the sky, and the moon was full and bright above the placid ocean. I could not have dreamed of a more perfect night.

People paired off as a slow song started to play. Some disappeared into the alcoves but most took to the dance floor, their bodies entwined as they moved to the music. I waded through the crowd, unaware of my destination until I stopped at the edge of the pool. The mist was cool against my skin, and an overpowering sense of rejuvenation washed over me.

A thought struck me, and I dipped my finger into the water before sticking it in my mouth. It was just like the pool above my room- far saltier than the ocean. They had to be the same, but how did the water get from here to my house?

Someone touched my arm. It was soft, but it startled me. With a shriek, I spun around, tripping on the hem of my dress, but strong hands caught me before I fell into the pool.

"Why are you always trying to drown?"

I glared up at the masked boy. If my heart hadn't recognized him, the smirk on his lips would've been a dead give away. "Maybe the better question is why are you always involved in my near drownings?"

"Oh no," he whispered, drawing me into his arms and onto the dance floor, "you only get to blame me for one of those."

"One and a half. If I'd gone into the pool, it would've been your fault."

"I'll give you that. Isla... you look breathtaking."

I melted into him. "Thank you. You're very handsome yourself."

He lowered his head and kissed me. Normally, PDA wasn't my style, but with time slipping away, I would take whatever he offered. I went up on my toes to deepen the kiss and was rewarded with a groan as Kieran pulled away.

Hazel eyes heavy with lust, he pressed his forehead against mine. "I could get addicted to that."

As much as I didn't want to change the mood, his words struck a cord inside of me, churning up guilt. He would just have to understand that this was for the best. One day, he would be grateful for tonight. I repeated the thought. One day.

"Kieran, there's something odd about the pool."

"It's the Pool of Metamorphosis."

"Um, come again?"

The music picked up, and he twirled me across the floor, the shimmering edges of my gown flaring up to my thighs. When he brought me back to his chest, I was breathless and laughing. He dipped and twirled me twice more before answering my question.

"When we first settled the Island, Merrow would bring their children here on their seventeenth birthday. The pool has healing properties, and it makes their first shift much easier."

"Easier how? I've seen shifts before, and they're quick."

"Not the first one. The magic in our blood ignites when we turn seventeen, and it breaks our bodies and makes them new again. It's why the curse has killed so many. It's like your body is one fire, and you can't put it out. There's no relief. Most die from the shock of it all."

"Kieran... and you survived that."

When he looked at me, his jaw was tight and his eyes were flashing. "I decided I would die before giving Lorelei another victory. Even at its worst, I never wanted to call for her. I thought I survived because my hatred of her gave me strength. Now, I think I survived to be here for you."

I couldn't say anything. Any attempt at speaking would turn to tears, and he would know then what I planned. So I kissed him again.

"Hey, get a room," Niko shouted from nearby. Tara giggled.

Rolling his eyes, Kieran said, "you know, after your fall, I thought you'd discovered this place. You showed up at school without injuries."

"No, this is my first time here," I admitted, "but there's this room in my house-"

"Isla?" he pressed, concern washing across his expression when I didn't continue speaking again.

"Sorry," I said, turning my attention back to him. The person I spied moved back into the shadows, and I knew the time was coming. The beginning of the end. "I completely forgot what I was going to say."

"You were talking about a room in your house."

"Alright, listen up everyone!" Tara's voice echoed in the cavern. "It's time to sing to the birthday girl."

"Oh gosh."

I covered my face even though it was hidden behind a mask. A huge cake was carried out, lit sparklers blazing from the top. Kieran whooped and dragged me forward. When we reached the cake, he put his arms around my waist and whispered in my ear, "Make a wish."

I bit my lip and looked into the faces of my friends. I shook my head. "I've got everything I want."

Then I blew out the candles.