Chapter 1

I shift uncomfortably on my feet, desperately trying to find some release from the crouch I have painfully maintained for the past ten minutes.

I have to force myself to stay alert to my surroundings and not zone out. I could really use a bonus right now, and Alpha only gives me one of those if he is content with the information I bring back to him.

I let out a huff of frustration. The moon is hidden from view by the half-burnt mansion, leaving me with nothing but a vague silhouette to scout.

Contrary to other supernaturals, I don't have night vision... or incredible speed, or even incredible strength for that matter! Urg, I'm barely considered a supernatural but I'm still stuck with the dirty work... spying.

The night I was bitten by that damn vampire, my sister was rescued by a pack of werewolves. There, she found her mate and is now basically living her own happy ever after.

I, on the other hand, was bitten a second time, this time by a werewolf... let me just tell you the experience is diabolically painful.

They couldn't just let me live because, and I quote,"There is already a sufficient amount of bloodsuckers out there." Alpha's words, not mine.

Therefore, they basically thought, "Lest we bite this girl, maybe she will survive and we will finally discover the results of getting bitten by two different species at a time... We could have a hybrid, of sorts... Bet the other packs don't have that..." Much to my disadvantage...

The results were obviously deceiving, considering my senses weren't that heightened... The only unusual attribute I possess, that actually benefits them, is my "neutral" scent.

Let me explain, werewolves and vampires are supposedly mortal enemies; polar opposites...(I honestly find the two share the same cynicism), so, hypothetically, my werewolf scent canceled my vampire scent, leaving me with a convenient "neutral" smell.

Thereupon, they've put me on spy duty, which basically consists of me remaining on top of a building, (or in this casein a freaking bush), for a long ass time in the most uncomfortable of positions, waiting to maybe catch a juicy glimpse of their confidential conversation (that is, in my point of view, just lame gossip).

I mean, that lame gossip has saved lives before... but-

" I can't keep living like this, I just can't do it anymore." A voice I decipher as male practically declares...
I deadpan, what an idiot.

I narrow my eyes on the two silhouettes as he continues: "The mate bond has grown so much stronger, you have to understand my pain! People are wondering why we've only mated, why I haven't marked her yet. Usually, it's the other way around!" I freeze, no my heart freezes, and the rest of my body copies.

I would recognize that sugary sweet voice anywhere...
What the actual fuck is my sister's mate doing with the enemy?!

" Listen, all you have to do is continue what you've been doing so amazingly for a little while longer... You of all people should know how much we need to bring Theodore down." A woman's voice purrs, a slight tremor in her voice.

I mentally scoff, she's obviously just trying to get him to calm down and lower his voice.

They then come out, utterly clueless might I add, climb into their cars, and drive away. Those idiots probably never thought we'd think this to be their meeting place, it being basically the opposite of soundproof and private... my only real disadvantage was the distance...

My hands seem to have a mind of their own, as they clench into fists.

I fall back onto my butt and groan,
digging my fists into my eyes. God, why can't I just see things clearly? I can't believe that idiot actually fooled me into believing his lies... and my sister...

He's using her for some lady that he apparently has feelings for. How is that even possible? And why is she after my alpha?

My eyes start to water. I'm so fed up with all this. The only thing that could actually bring a smile to my face, was my sister's... granted it was annoying as hell, but it was still something...

God, my head is a mess. I get up and start my walk back to pack territory. Alpha says that seventeen is too young of an age to be given the privilege of driving, I say he just doesn't want to touch his budget.

The thing with walks is that they let your thoughts run freely. Though one could argue, finding their attributes majorly beneficial and a help to reflect on life, I find they can also make your deepest fears come out and haunt you. Your mind goes into a sort of frenzy. Events replay in your head, and you can't help but think of the upcoming consequences and imagine worst case scenarios... but you don't just stop there. No, you're just starting your very own crescendo symphony of stress...

I usually accept what comes at me and adapt to the various situations thrown at me. But to know that he used my sister, played her, and I never even saw squat...

Just the thought of it makes my blood boil.

Wow, my life has become such an emotional roller coaster. Erk.

I close my eyes. I wish I had a jellyfish mode programmed in me. Oh, the beautiful wonders of being brainless... I wouldn't have to think about all this shit and my life would be ever so sim-

I'm suddenly having a staring contest with an owl, his head does a 360 rotation before he decides that I am not worthy of his attention and starts plucking his chest.

Huffing at my idiocy, I rise from my ever-so-graceful position on the ground.

I rub the back of my head and carry on my walk back to the pack.

When I arrive, I see a couple that's about to kiss. I can just see it in their eyes that they're in love. I smirk, and my heart starts beating faster with anticipation.

"Oh, my freak! Why in tarnation is that lizard so big?" I scream/shout in a lame southern accent, completely ruining the little moment they were having. How tragic.

They snap their eyes towards me.

"Oh sorry! Did I disturb anything?", I ask innocently while they glare daggers at me. I kind of have the reputation of "sneaky" and "malicious" around here... But at the same time they're the ones who made me be a spy so it's pretty much their fault in the end... Cue the evil chuckle.

"Get lost mutt.", the girl growls out. I want to say that that's not a very nice thing to say but her eyes are getting too much greener by the second, electric green. Yikes, her wolf is coming out...

I quickly scamper away to the pack house, which is basically the alpha's office and a hangout place for tweens whose mothers won't let them go about unsupervised.

I enter, taking in the empty bottom floor... I suddenly feel very agitated. My heart starts pounding and the world gets blurry, I blink hard and rub my hands over my eyes, trying to regain ahold of myself. After a few moments of vain efforts to try to calm down, I make my way up the stairs in a daze.

My eyes sting like I haven't slept in days but I feel very much awake... What the hell is happening. I swear I felt just fine a- bam.

The door is suddenly ripped open causing me to tumble through the threshold barely catching my balance.

I look up, right into an intricate swirl of green and gold. I snap out of my daze and find myself standing in front of the most terrifying man I have ever beheld in my life. A single stare had my brain screaming for me to run and hide but a deeper part of me urged me forward...

He suddenly spoke in a surprisingly smooth voice " Mate".

A/N Thoughts? This is my first book so please bear with me :))