4 The Caterpie of the Day

Start from the beginning

That's when a nearby bush started rustling. "Hey, look at that! Right on schedule. I want you both to be ready to battle." They both nodded their heads as a brown worm popped out of the bush. It looked similar to Caterpie but not quite. "Dex, who's that Pokémon?"

My Pokédex responded, "Weedle the Hairy Bug Pokémon. The poison stinger on this Pokémon's head guarantees that any attacker will get the point right where it hurts."

"Then we better watch out for that stinger. Caterpie, I want you to get some battle experience, so you're up! String Shot!" I waited, and waited, and waited for my Pokémon to respond. However, nothing happened.

Weedle looked at me with a confused expression.

"Caterpie, what's..." I trailed off when I saw Caterpie sleeping on my shoulder. "Hey, this is no time for a nap! Wake up, Caterpie!"

Weedle took its opportunity to get away.

"Oh no, you don't! Shinx use Shock Wave!"

Before Shinx had a chance to attack, a yellow Pokémon jumped out of the bushes at the speed of light and slammed into Weedle. It took a short moment to recognize the new Pokémon arrival. "Hey, I know that yellow fur!" I remembered the city Pokémon we ran into yesterday: the Pikachu that knocked itself out with Thunder Shock. "Are you that same Pikachu?!"

It looked back at me and made a peace sign with its paw.

However, Shinx grabbed my attention to let me know that Weedle was trying to escape again. "Not again! Try attacking once more!" Shinx tried Shock Wave for a second time, but Pikachu jumped in the way. Sparking its cheeks, it tried a Thunder Shock, but once again it failed. Pikachu fell back unconscious, allowing Weedle to escape. "Well, that's that I guess."

I went over to Pikachu and picked it up. "Hey, why do you keep doing that to yourself?" It didn't reply, simply laid back in my arms and acted like it was in extreme pain. "You know, you're kind of a drama queen. It didn't hurt that badly, did it?" It got mad, and before I knew it, I was attacked by a successful attempt of Pikachu's Thunder Shock. Not only did I get zapped, Caterpie did too. She woke up from her nap and ran away in fear. "Caterpie, come back!" She disappeared into the trees.

I set Pikachu on the ground and handed it a yellow berry. "Here, if that's how you're going to be, just take this. It's a Sitrus Berry. It'll restore your energy in a snap and then you can be on your way. I don't know if you were following us or something, but I can at least say thanks for trying to help. We have to go find our friend. See you, Pikachu!" Shinx and I waved before running off in Caterpie's direction.

The two of us looked everywhere, searching high and low for my Pokémon. "Caterpie, where'd you go? Caterpie! Hey, Caterpie!" I shouted over and over. No response, and no movement as far as the eye could see. "Oh, where could she have gone? Hopefully not far."

Up ahead, Shinx stopped and stared up into a tree.

"Something wrong, Shinx?" He pointed up at a branch.

On that branch, there was a familiar orange caterpillar napping. I breathed a sigh of relief. "There you are." She opened her eyes to see me waving. "Down here, Caterpie. There's nothing to be scared of here. I'm sorry you were frightened, but it wasn't me. We were hit by an attack from a Pikachu." Suddenly, Caterpie got spooked and raced further up the tree. "What's wrong now?"

I turned around to find Pikachu running up to us. "Hey, it's Pikachu again." It stepped up to me with one half of the Sitrus Berry; the other half must've already been eaten. "Well, I'm glad to see you liked that berry."

To my horror, I heard a snap. Caterpie had climbed onto a branch and weighed it down just enough for it to break in half. My Pokémon plummeted towards the ground. "Caterpie!" I raced forward and jumped, holding out my arms. Catching Caterpie, I held her tightly to my chest and crashed face-first into the tree.