chapter six

s i x

*

I have no interest in sports whatsoever. It's just never been a part of my life. Both of my parents would sooner curl up with a book than watch a game, and the only time I've ever seen football on TV is when my sister is channel-hopping. I never thought I'd see a live game of anything, but after the beach, Sam drove us to Petco Park, and that changed.

At first, I thought it was some kind of domestic zoo, but I was sorely mistaken. No pets to be seen, just a lot of guys in what looked like pyjamas. I soon realised they were baseballers and that we were watching a game at San Diego's stadium. My initial dread was quelled by a hotdog and a huge Coke.

Now, an hour after the game ended, I can't remember what happened. I didn't spend much time watching the pitch, or the field, or whatever it's called - the whole time was spent chatting to Young-mi, who had even less of an interest in the game than me, and Sam, who tried so hard to explain it to us and eventually gave up.

I liked the hotdog though.

As the van pulls into the campsite for tonight, I can't stop yawning. The game went on for a long time - I thought ninety minutes of football was ridiculous, but the baseball went on for three hours. Yes, it was really nice to chill with Young-mi, who has proven herself to be easy and undemanding company, but now it's getting on for eleven o'clock and we still need to put up our tents.

"I've never done this before," I admit as Arjun hauls over our assigned tent from the back of the trailer. He drops it on the ground and plants his hands on his hips, looking down at the bag of metal and canvas and then back at me.

"Me neither," he says. "First time for everything, right? We just need to find the right hole for the pole."

My cheeks go red but it's dark enough that he probably can't see. I hope.

After eleven long minutes of battling with what turns out to be a very simple frame and cover system, we have a tent. We're the last to figure it out, having turned down Young-mi's attempts to help. The girl claims to have never camped before, but she put up her tent like a pro. I'm pretty sure Carrie didn't even get a say.

"It'll get easier," Sam says, clearly trying to hold back his amusement at our ineptitude. Maybe I should have warned him and Arjun that I can follow instructions about as well as I can figure out taxes and tips. "By day four, you'll be pros at pitching a tent."

There go my damn cheeks again, burning up like the sun. Arjun snorts a laugh and the heat intensifies. Time to crawl into my sleeping bag and hibernate until morning. I'd happily do exactly that right now, ready for bed after a long day of driving and burning on the beach and gabbing at the game, but Sam gathers us in the middle of the wonky circle our tents have made, and I doubt it's to say goodnight to each of us.

"Everyone here?" he asks, doing a headcount. Satisfied that he's the ninth body, he then asks, "What're everyone's tiredness levels like?"

I could fall asleep on my feet, I think, but I don't say that. Especially not when everyone else seems to be buzzing. I should've finished my giant Coke to match their sugary caffeine high, but I couldn't get through the American sizing. I ended up sharing with Young-mi, and we still didn't reach the end. All I succeeded in doing was making my bladder uncomfortably full, so I had to race to the loo as soon as we made it back to the campsite.

"How about our first camp fire?" He pulls a guitar out from behind his back. Of course he has a guitar, which he idly strums as he instructs Adedayo to find a lighter while Brannan is sent to gather dry sticks from behind the tents. The guitar, old and battered and covered in stickers, looks as though it has accompanied Sam on every trek he's led.