01 | THE BEGINNING

Disclaimer: I only own my two characters (Livia and Sawyer) and their plot lines. The rest of the credit goes to Netflix and the creators of The Society.

Chapter One

THE BEGINNING

THE NIGHT AIR WAS COLD on her skin as she flew through the streets. Though the girl was barely seventeen and a perfectly capable driver, Livia had always preferred her baby blue beach cruiser.  The difference between the rusty, old bike she rode and the shiny, new cars her classmates drove was a comparison she loved.

Though at times like this Livia could admit cars were much more convenient.  After making promises to multiple people to be in attendance at the high school's annual play tonight, she was fighting to reach the theater on time. Her legs strained as she pushed faster on the pedals, desperately wishing her town had less hills.

Livia felt a soft buzz against her hip, which resulting in the blonde rumbling out a groan. Without checking, she knew what the message would say. One of her friends, most likely Kelly or Harry, would be wondering about her location. The follow up text would be a mocking one, most likely commenting on her bike.

Livia rolled her eyes as she fished the device out of her pocket. Keeping one hand steady on the handle bars, she quickly glanced down at the screen. The girl had been right, Kelly had been asking where she was. Figuring texting while riding a bike in the middle of the street wasn't the best idea, she hurriedly called her friend.

Kelly answered on the second ring.

"Livia!" her friend exclaimed, "Are you coming tonight? Cassandra just pulled Harry away from me and now I'm all alone." Livia could hear the pout in her tone.

"Yeah, I'm about two blocks away," Livia responded. A pause went by.

"Hey, isn't it the second act already? Why were you with Harry?"

Kelly giggled. "We were just having some fun."

Livia let out a loud laugh. "I'm sure you were." The blonde had finally reached the school, and she stopped her bike at the entrance of the school. Without bothering to check if she had properly locked it, Livia moved towards the auditorium.

Kelly sighed, clearly annoyed. "By the way, Harry and I think the smell is back."

Subtly, Livia lifted her head towards the sky and took a breath in. Her eyes watered at the strong smell she was met with. "The smell" as it had been so creatively named, was one of the worst things that had happened to her town. It had disappeared for a while, but  unfortunately it seemed to be making a reappearance.

"Yeah, now that you mention it I can smell it too," Livia commented, rounding the corner that led to the auditorium. "Anyways, I'm here, where exactly are you?"

After some whispered directions from Kelly and a not so quiet entrance from Livia, the two friends finally found each other. Livia had only been sitting for about ten minutes before the play had ended. If she was being perfectly honest, Livia was convinced she didn't miss much. The play, from the ten minutes she saw, had too many riddles and metaphors for her to fully enjoy. The audience seemed enthralled by the coin trick Cassandra's character had done, but Livia couldn't help but feel as if there was a deeper meaning behind it that everyone had missed.