Chapter Eight

"By night, Love, tie your heart to mine, and the two
together in their sleep will defeat the darkness."

- Pablo Neruda

Chapter Eight

The week had been a rush of preparations for the ball. Ferid had been tasked with seen to the fine details at Krul's manor. In a way Sybil was greatful seeing as the eccentric man was accompanied by Crowley whenever he left the manor.

Though this left her with Horn and Chess. She wasn't sure how she felt about the two woman, she was curious about thier relationships with Crowley, but she knew too it was not her place to ask, even if her rank allowed it.

The two woman had kept her busy, helping her try on a plethora of dresses provided by Ferid, including matching shoes and accessories for each dress he had carefully picked out. She had sat like a statue while they tried various make up looks and toyed with her long locks, coaxing them into various hairstyles.

It was the day of the dreaded ball and Sybil watched as Horn and Chess rushed around pulling out dresses, the frustration seeping off them in waves as they held the various outfits up to her, yet nothing she has seen, had struck her fancy. She could not deny that her friend didn't have wonderful taste in fashion, yet she was looking for something that would catch a certain vampires eye.

"Your majesty, I know it may not be my place as I was simply instructed in helping you get ready by my lord, but you still have not picked anything to wear to the ball and it's in a few hours." Horn spoke softly to the woman as she gave a soft sigh.

"Unfortunately, these dresses are all very beautiful, but none are what I would want to be seen in at this ball, it's been centuries since I have been to one." Sybil commented as she stood up walking into the closet where she spotted a large red box held closed with a black ribbon.

Picking it up gently she eyed it suspiciously before walking out with it and facing the two woman. "Did either of you place this in my closet?"

"No we did not." Horn bowed.

Sybil waved her hand dismissively. "Now now, I asked you to skip the formalities, it's hard enough to be around strangers of sorts, the formalities just makes the whole situation feel stiff and proper." She walked over to her bed where she placed the large box down, before she pulled the ribbon off.

Glancing from left to right at the two woman who had moved to either side of her, she lifted the lid and moved the pretty patterned paper out the way revealing black silk and lace with sparkling Crystal's. Lifting the fabric up three gasps sounded through the room as Sybil pulled the dress from the box.

"Its gorgeous." All three whispered at the same time as they admired it.

The dress was an elegant off the shoulder gown, done with expensive black lace and crystals. The rest of the dress fell down as layers of black silk and tulle rested over the main skirt which faded from black to a deep wine red.

The dress had a Victorian feel to it, in its elegance yet with a modern touch just to keep up with the current century they were in. Paired with a gorgeous black diamond choker, matching earrings and a bracelet and black silk high heels, the final piece pulled from the box was a thin, black lace shawl.