Chapter One

"I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

It had been like any other day, studies, studies and more studies. Sybil found herself sitting in the silence of the library clutching delicately at her temples, her fingertips pressed gently into the soft skin as she tried to relieve herself of the dull throbbing in her head.

The soft sound of the door opening, had her raising her gaze to see who entered, only to drop it when she saw it was one of her brothers.

"So this is where you hide away after a long day of mental torture?" he hummed seating himself next to his sister.

"It's large enough so mother won't find me if she does decide to come looking for me." Sybil answered in a low tone. "She seems to be allergic to the smell of old books and education, though she pushes it on me."

Her brother laughed, his tone a rich baritone as he affectionately petted her hair. "We are going on an out ride later on if you would like to join us."

Sybil sighed out shaking her head. "As much as I would love to accept you know how mother will react, I miss riding." her tone tinged with sadness as she glanced at all the books around her. "Ever since I've come of age to marry, mother has been hell bent on keeping me locked up and hidden behind a stack of books."

"I still think it not fair that mother keeps you under lock and key in the palace, you trained just as we have, you know how to protect yourself to a certain extent, it must get so boring seen the same views every single day." Dominique sighed.

"You know that if mother ever heard of me leaving the palace she would probably have me locked away in a tower until the day she can marry me off." Sybil signed placing the book in her lap down.

"She still trying to marry you off to Prince Albert?" He did nothing to hide the disgust in his voice.

Sybil smiled at her brothers distaste. "Yes, and he is a horrible man. If he is even deserving of such a title. Though I do not think mother really cares seen as shes not the one marrying him."

"Well I do have some news." her brother admitted. "Its the reason for the out ride today."

"And what would that be?" Sybil blinked slowly as she met her brothers gaze.

"There have been rumors of vampires in the town's a few ways over. Specially in the smaller villages just beyond our borders. We know it gives us some leeway, but I was hoping if you came with us that you could flee, having one surviving royal would be better than an entire bloodline been wiped out, you have the potential to save our family name sister." His face was earnest in the worry that he wore.

"Do you really think that they are going to attack us?" she whispered in shock. "Surely father can pledge his allegiance to them and save what he can of the kingdom."

"I cannot be sure, but you are the rightful heir to the throne, if anything happens to you, it will be chaos, I know mother is trying to sabotage you and we won't allow that to happen." Dominique stated as he offered his sister an endearing smile. "As for father, he knows of the perils that await out kingdom and our kind. If he makes that sort of allegiance with the enemy, you know already that you will be the bargaining chip. Such an allegiance will only protect the aristocracy."

"I do appreciate everything you are doing for me, but you also need to think of yourselves." her voice,though soft had it's usual firm quality to it. "My suspicion is that we will be seized by the enemy. It won't be a bargain, it will be a negotiation and even if I was to flee, if you suspect father would use me as a bargaining chip then there would be nothing stopping him from sending a search party out to look for me."

Her brother chuckled slowly before messing with her hair. "You've come along way big sister even though there is barely a year between us." he chuckled even more so as she moved to the window to stare at the emptying courtyard.

"I haven't had the luxury of much else." she simply stated as she eyed the guards who moved around on thier shifts.

"Still if you change your mind, there will be a horse readied for you, also in your chambers you will find a bag with enough in it ration wise and other provisions as well as a chest hidden in the bottom. These are vampires we are dealing with, if it was a human army I would have no dire concerns." Her brother had a grim look cross his features.

"I'll take it into consideration brother." she whispered out softly before glancing back out the window.

Sybil sighed out as she watched the afternoon Ray's of sun turn a beautiful golden color, casting elongated shadows along the ground.

Moving to a specific book shelf she ran her fingers over the various spines of books, until she pulled one well aged one out. A book of creatures of the night. Biting gently on her bottom lip, she seated herself comfortably on a sofa while she thumbed through the pages.

Glancing up at the dying light of the day, her resolve strengthened as she closed the book moving to her chambers where she found the bag that was mentioned. Washing and changing into more suitable attire, she pulled on a cloak, making sure her hair was hidden. Grabbing the hefty bag she made her way to the stables where as promised, a horse was found readied for her.

Taking one last glance at the palace, she mounted her horse, leaving everything she knew behind as she fled.