chapter 1

It was my first day of Junior year and, if you asked me a month ago, I'd never inteded on spending it in Forks Washington. I loved Arizona, but things between me and my dad weren't the best, so, as a "bonding" opportunity", my mom is forcing me to spend my junior and senior year with him. Plus it'll give her and her new husband the space they need to travel.

  Forks is nothing like Arizona. At all. Forks has rain all the time and rarely has sunny days. I'm going to be more pale than I already am. Plus, I hate the cold. Anything cold and wet makes my skin crawl.

  It was my first day of my new school and I hated the idea of having to meet new people. I'm a pretty introverted person, so meeting new people in a new school is pretty scary especially in the middle of the year where people already have their friend groups figured out and cliques. Walking into Forks high, I was relieved to notice that most of the kids were either as pale or more pale than me, so at least I didn't stick out like I did in Arizona. I started walking through the hallway while looking down at my schedule when I bumped into what felt like a cold wall. I almost fell, but a strong, cold hand grabbed my wrist. Looking up, I saw that the person who stopped me was a guy, about 6'1, with dark, almost black eyes. He was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. 

  Once I noticed I was staring, I cleared my throat and dropped my hand to my side. "Sorry," I mumbled, looking down, blushing. I looked back up and he smiled. "No worries." His voice was smooth and deep. Then, almost out of nowhere, his face turned into disgust. "I have to go." His tone made it sound as if he were holding back the urge to throw up. With that, he turned around and sped off. 

  I stood there, confused as to what the hell just happened. A few minutes at a new school and already someone is disgusted by me, I thought. My thoughts got interrupted when this guy walked up to me with the biggest smile ever on his face. "Hey! You must be new. I'm Mike." He held his hand out for me to shake it. "Is it that obvious?" I said, referring to the new part. He retracted his hand and awkwardly put his hand in his pocket. "Well, this school is pretty small, so I recognize everyone but you." I nodded in response. 

  There was a brief silence between use until he decided to try again with a conversation. "So what's your first class?" I looked at my schedule and pointed to the first class. "Oh, you have math! I know where that class is." He paused, reading my name on the top of my paper. "Isabella," He said with a smile. I folded the paper and put it in my back pocket. "It's just Bella." 

Ignoring my obvious disinterest in talking to him, Mike continued to pop up throughout the first half of my day. At lunch, he called me out and had me sit with his friends. He introduced me to them and they introduced themselves as well. There was Angela who had glasses and black hair, Jessica who had long, brown hair that was pulled back into a ponytail, and Eric who had black hair as well. They seemed nice, but I could tell Jessica was skeptical of me. 

  I looked around the lunchroom and my eyes landed on four people who all moved in sync. They were pale and had perfect, porcelain like skin. There were two girls and two boys. "Who are they?" I asked, referring to the people I just saw. 

  Jessica seemed offended that I had interrupted one of her gossip rants, but Angela ignored her, answering my question, "Those are the Cullens." Jessica almost jumped out of her seat at the mention of them. "Oh, yeah, the Cullens are totally weird," Jessica continued, placing her elbows on the table, now intrigued at the conversation. "They're all adopted by Doctor Carlisle, but they're also dating each other. I'm pretty sure that's like incest." Then, following the others, I saw the guy I bumped into this morning. He didn't make any eye contact with anyone in the room as he walked to a table with the other four. "That's Edward Cullen. He's basically the hottest guy here, but he's not interested in anyone and hasn't shown interest in anyone ever, so don't get your hopes up." She sounded disappointed at the last statement.